Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what everybody is doing in terms of a iPod holder/mount. I'd like to determine if there is something out there that won't look cheesy. I don't have full iPod integration in my vehicle, but rather, only have the Aux input (which means I must control the iPod from the iPod itself). Because of this, I don't like the idea of sticking it in my glove box, or the console. Instead, I'd like to mount it somewhere....but as I said, I don't want it to be some cheesy looking mount, and I don't want a windshield mount either. So, just wondering if anybody has a good solution that you can provide details of (cost, model number, etc)...and hopefully include a picture too.

Thanks in advance,
TJ

·
Registered
1994 S420
310 Posts
There are two challenges.

First is finding a wiring system for the device which allows use of OEM sound controls to control the ipod.

Second is a mounting system which is elegant and tasteful for the vehicle.

First problem was easily solved.....I was impressed with the features including radio button control of ipod offered by this item for my 94 S420....hopefully it works as claimed. It uses the multi CD changer functionality to control the ipod. Won't work for AUX connected devices (blackberry, samsung etc). I am happy to give up external CD changer for ipod.

PA11-MB - CB-PM4 USA Spec iPod Adapter Interface for Mercedes (1994-1998)

Your connectivity problem requires different solution given you have a fiber optic bus to tap into. Maybe the people above have something which will meet your needs.

Technical issues seem easier to find solutions. There are some pretty smart hardware people out there who know how to integrate car electronics.

The cosmetic solution of how to mount seems more problematic. The interiors are so refined and free space is limited, almost anything highly visible will look out of place.

I intend to convert the center front ash tray to an electronics shelf/pocket which the ipod will nest into....if that doesn't work, I am thinking install on the side of the center console, ahead and right of the shift lever, passenger side, maybe mounted horizontal, flat against the side of the console, not the top. Almost doesn't matter where it goes if the radio controls can drive the ipod, and playlists are visible on the head unit screen.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (W211)
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice work. I wish I had some of that.....spare time that is!
Seriously though....well done. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Use the 2-way LCD wireless remote with LCD screen.
iJet Two Way LCD Remote
The package includes
1. A transceiver base that plugs into the iPod, the iPod is plugged into the Aux input in the glovebox.
2. A handheld 2-way remote displays song titles, controls the iPod, up to 150 ft range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts