Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the General Forum...probably would be better here.

Hello all,

New to this forum. I've had several MB's in the past all of them sedans except for the last which was an ML320.

I've always had dreams of getting a convertible. Since there are so many models out across several years I thought I'd run what I'm looking for across you guys to see what your recommendations are.

I'm looking for a MB convertible that:

1 - Is less than $10k in price. Would be a weekend driver---when the weather in Minnesota permits.
2 - Model with the best reputation for the least amount of problems.
3 - Would be the easiest for a shade tree mechanic to work on.

I'm thinking with the price limit I'm setting, there would be a trade-off between model, vehicle condition and miles. By the way, I see many on the online auto web sites spanning from 300 to 500 series (are any of these series considered "better" than others?). Many of these have miles in excess of 100k to 170k. Are these high miles a "serious" consideration for a MB convertible? It did not seem so with the sedans I've had in the past. With the ML320 I had it was.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input...so far from responses and reading elsewhere in this forum it looks like the one I'm looking for is the R107/280SL. I heard the words "indestructable" to decribe this model. I like those kinds of words. Also: "easier to maintain", "easier to find parts" (relatively inexpensive to other models), "better gas mileage"...anything else?

Anybody disagree?

Now to find one....

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,196 Posts
I may be biased as I have a 280sl '83 but I love it as it is a little more unique given that it is a Euro model. Motor is strong, it is available with a 5 speed manual trani (which is why I bought one) the bumpers are more stylish and it has the euro headlights. One thing to look out for is a possible modification adding emissions and a cat to meet US standards. This could be done well or hacked. Buyer always beware. Happy hunting.
Knobby

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,196 Posts
One other thing, there is less info available on this model in North America as a combination i.e. R107 / 2.8 liter straight 6 / manual trani but all the parts are available. The motor/trani appeared in other MB models and is not unique to the 107 per say...

·
Registered
78 280sl,65 Mustang Fastback, 05 Chaparral 220 Ssi
34 Posts
I have nothing more to add other than agreeing with what has already been posted. Stout little engine, 4 or 5 speed manual, classy lines, and a rag top. Hard to beat that combo.

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
The four speed auto 280SL is not as fast, but it sure is a nice driver.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,198 Posts
I just got my car (280slc) smog legal, they make you put a bunch of crap on the car, but no egr. If you don't have the stuff, you won't pass the visual for california.
If they dyno your car to check for NOx you most likely will not pass. Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same exact questions ...

wait, someone from Milwaukke 2 posts up .... I will PM you to further assist me[:D]as well.

and so, the quest for my MB continues ...

·
Registered
93 400E
61 Posts
I dont know if I'll get in trouble for posting this ,but I have an 85 380 SL that I restored last winter for sale may be just what your looking for http://profiles.yahoo.com/mikesautosvc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts