Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can say that I'm a proud owner of a 2001 E55 now. I picked up my E55 today. The car is in a fantastic condition, I honestly drove down thinking I'd be disappointed but the car was MINT, in & out. I definitely scored a smoking hot deal. a LOT of car for the money. The car drives like a DREAM, it just pulls & pulls, the 18" tires have endless grip.

I look forward to interacting with all of you fellow E55 owners, as I hope to keep this car for a long time.

The car, being used, has some issues that need to be addressed. I need to ask if any of you had these problems.

Problems:
1. There are 2 tiny rust spots developing on the trunk, next to the plastic strip above the license plate on each end. I will have a bodyshop touch this up. I checked door seals, rocker panels, spring perch, etc but no rust elsewhere (fingers crossed)

2. Instrument cluster: the right side of the cluster does not illuminate at night. I think if I figure out how to pull the cluster out, I can replace some bulbs.

3. The outside temp display reads "+ 79* - " or something. way too high. Also the pixels are going out. I checked the temp sensor by the driver's fog light, but it seems to be intact and mounted properly.

4. Washer fluid tank leak. When I fill the tank all the way, everything just leaks out. but when i fill it up about 1/3 way only, no leak..?? are some seals broken?

5. Steering wheel squeak/groaning: I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the steering column. when i turn both ways, the wheel squeaks/moans.

6. SOS light illuminated, and OBC display 2 errors: "SOS warning, see autoshop" and "SOS, malfunction". How do u get rid of this?

7. Passenger side rear tire is worn much more than other 3 tires. Normal?

I'll do these immediately for now, and do others later:

1. oil change (fleece filter & M1 0W-40)
2. cabin filters
3. air filters
4. coolant (zerex G-05 ok?)
5. rear differential : Mobil1 synthetic 75W-90

Garage looks beautiful with both 01 E55 and 97 E420. :thumbsup:

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
ProV1x said:
Problems:
1. There are 2 tiny rust spots developing on the trunk, next to the plastic strip above the license plate on each end. I will have a bodyshop touch this up. I checked door seals, rocker panels, spring perch, etc but no rust elsewhere (fingers crossed)
Have them inspect the rust make sure that's nothing major. they have to remove the rust before applying any touch up paint otherwise it's useless.

ProV1x said:
2. Instrument cluster: the right side of the cluster does not illuminate at night. I think if I figure out how to pull the cluster out, I can replace some bulbs.

3. The outside temp display reads "+ 79* - " or something. way too high. Also the pixels are going out. I checked the temp sensor by the driver's fog light, but it seems to be intact and mounted properly.
Check the connector make sure it's not lose located underneath the front cover (you need to remove it)

ProV1x said:
4. Washer fluid tank leak. When I fill the tank all the way, everything just leaks out. but when i fill it up about 1/3 way only, no leak..?? are some seals broken?
you need to replace your washer tank reservior.

ProV1x said:
5. Steering wheel squeak/groaning: I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the steering column. when i turn both ways, the wheel squeaks/moans.
check your serpentine belt if needs to be replace and have your pulley pump check.

ProV1x said:
6. SOS light illuminated, and OBC display 2 errors: "SOS warning, see autoshop" and "SOS, malfunction". How do u get rid of this?
SOS malfunction/SOS malfunction = you have no subscription (see your local dealer and they can remove the malfunction for you)

ProV1x said:
That is definitely not normal, you need to have it align (4 wheel alignment)

Take care & enjoy the new ride,
JOE55

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. I think we need to use the $16 fleece filters for our cars, not the $6 paper one.

so today I cleaned the outside temp sensor connector and it reads perfectly now. also flushed the coolant.

Mobil1 0W-40 was on sale for $4.99/qt so i grabbed 8qt also.

For the rust spot I'm taking the car to the best bodyshop in the area next week.

I tried to locate the leak for the washer fluid, but it seems like the culprit is somewhere in the tubing, not the plastic tank. I'm taking the car into an indy shop. Will have them disable the SOS warning messages.

·
Registered
TT
500 Posts
Welcome to the E55 AMG club and congrats on your car

The car is in a fantastic condition ?

Problems:

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2002 G500 / 1998 Range Rover
126 Posts
Pro -

This is an interesting read on w210's: Common Problems | EclassBenz.com

Specifically refering to Squeaky Power Steering:
As one of the bushings on the power steering box wears, it transmits a groan up the steering column every time you turn. The bushing can be replaced, although some dealers may try to sell you a new power steering unit. If you’re looking only to replace the bushing, it’s probably best not to show up wearing your most expensive suit.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
3,159 Posts
Mileage on car? Any service records? Transmission ever serviced?

Did you change the cabin carbon filter? Search "W210 squeaky steering wheel", there are lots of threads on it

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
4,301 Posts
260e, I'm afraid you're 13 years too late. He's probably junked the E55....

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
3,159 Posts
Lol.......got sucked in by "Recommended Reading" again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts