Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there all over several states but in case anybody is harboring thoughts of scouring the San Diego yard for parts I'm here to tell you that it's slim pickings there for W126s. I went there hoping to get a fuel distributor out of a 1987 420SEL which was in pretty much spotless condition but I learned that they already threw it in the crusher. That's life at Pickapart.

So the only other cars that stood out were a 1st gen Euro 560SEL in lindgruen with green leather and a black 380SEC that was pretty trashed. Didn't look at the engine. Ecology next door has two 380SE's and they will have a half price sale next Saturday. This concludes the update from the car yards of Northern Mexico.

One other nugget: Last time I had plucked several relays from that very nice 420SEL, but left behind the Jetronic module at the register...ran out of cash (they asked for 25 bucks) and was more concerned with dragging home the bumper I had lucked into (for another 25). The lady at the desk spoke English about as well as I do Spanish so we agreed on "next time".

Of course I took that to mean that she would hold it for me until next time but today I learned that she meant "better luck next time" and that anything left at the register gets tossed into the crusher the same night. Yowsers. I was bummed to see that whole sweet car wasted like that but that episode cracked me up.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
44,079 Posts
I am over my cold and finally able to take care of my ignition woes. Good to hear your tranny problems are over. By now you are probably able to install them blindfolded. People forget that many of the mechanics visiting these yards are in the business of selling used parts online. They often have their contacts and know which complete cars are being added and when. You can literally see people circling around empty spots like buzzards. Ready to pounce with tools in their hands, before the forklifts have even put the cars down. Or before a sale, they might take off say an mb tranny and hide it in the trunk of a Chevy until that day. That is why it is so hard to find certain items. A well placed bill and a working knowledge of Spanish can go a long way here. Have a good weekend. Horst K

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What shocked me was the fact that in a matter of literally a couple of short weeks (I was last there in late March), they had apparently turned over the entire lot, which is huge (easily over 1000 cars). I have a pretty good photographic memory and recalled certain cars (certainly several W126s including that excellent 420SEL that was probably in the best shape of all the cars there), none of which were still around. Had I known that they throw everything into the crusher without regard to the actual residual value, I would have not left anything behind. Then again that's only consistent with paying the same price for a comparable part, be it off a Yugo or a Benz. The sweet nuttiness of the egalitarian Pickapart new world order!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts