Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to local p/p today found a 560 sl . What a shame rusted to crap underneath. interior looks like it got REAL wet. Got a few parts for my inventory . Going back thur or fri. It's a real shame to see these cars there. This is the second one i've found over the past 2 years.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,495 Posts
Sigh.

Scrap yards up here just don't keep shit like that anymore.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobby ; When i go to a p/p it feels like im stealing from the dead , but if i dont take stuff its going to just get ground up for scrap. Got anten, fog lights , turn signals,all kinds of elec. connectors and more for mine from this same p/p. Also saw a 380 coupe interior looked brand new shame i couldnt say the same for the560.:crybaby2:

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,170 Posts
Nobby ; When i go to a p/p it feels like im stealing from the dead , but if i dont take stuff its going to just get ground up for scrap. Got anten, fog lights , turn signals,all kinds of elec. connectors and more for mine from this same p/p. Also saw a 380 coupe interior looked brand new shame i couldnt say the same for the560.:crybaby2:
They don't even have pick a parts here. What color is the 380 interior.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was something in the tan range. Dont know the correct color number. There was a lot of other benz. that had good interiors. Wish some of the seats would fit mine.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
Nobby ; When i go to a p/p it feels like im stealing from the dead ,
I know how you feel. I recently was at a pull-a-part and I found a 1991 LeBaron convertible, a car just like the one I bought new for a previous wife. It was downright creepy and disturbing to see a car just like the one we drove out of a showroom all shiny and red, a car that she kept meticulously, slowly disintegrating in the boneyard (the top was down, but we had a very very dry summer so it wasn't bad - YET).

You may wonder what I was doing in the Chrysler section (i am working on a n unrelated project) but it occurred to me that the third brakelight on that era of LeBaron convertible was pretty close to the now unobtainable 88/89 560SL third brakelight. I am glad to report that it IS pretty close (somewhat bigger), has TWO bulbs, and is built INFINITELY stronger, being made out of a pound or two of die-cast. So, it was tricky to remove, but I picked it up as a spare, because if I ever replace the one on my '86 it won't be with ANOTHER POS like the 86/87 560SL's.

Did you know that the 560SL 86/87 third brakelights were cracked when they were new, and that there was a service bulletin on them?

·
29,495 Posts
Nobby ; When i go to a p/p it feels like im stealing from the dead ,
I hear you. I have been to many scrap yards over the years looking for various things for various projects.

But it's not like it used to be. They are all connected by computer now, they only keep what is relevant, most don't want you NEAR the vehicle for liability reasons and then the tree huggers are all over worried about enviromental issues.

It's no wonder the next generation of kids will be totally hands OFF.
Nobody is allowed to do anything.

·
Registered
1978 450SL (RIP); 2007 Impala 9C3 (Police); 2010 Ford Edge
212 Posts
It's no wonder the next generation of kids will be totally hands OFF.
Nobody is allowed to do anything.
Gone are the days (around here anyway) when you would go in looking for a 'door handle' and then proceeded to poke around for hours finding other parts you didn't even know you needed. It was a great way to find all those screws and clips.

Wish there were more yards like that around....as my kids get older & closer to driving, I'm telling them 'you'll be getting something without a computer. Its got to be something I can show you how to fix without a computer cable.' Luckily my oldest likes old cars......she loves the Benz.

·
Registered
'79 450SL
255 Posts
hmmm, any auto scrap yard in this area that I've been to will let you go in and look for a part.

·
29,495 Posts
hmmm, any auto scrap yard in this area that I've been to will let you go in and look for a part.
Well, then, lets all move to Alberta.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,246 Posts
We have Crazy Ray's U pick it U pull it in various locations around the city. One is about 15 minutes from me. Entry fee is $1 US and you can walk around all day, pulling whatever pieces you need at reasonable prices (the above link goes to the price list). Lots of M-B in the foreign car section but I've only ever seen one 107 and it was an SLC. When I see the 126s sitting there, my only sadness comes from not owning one so that I'd have the need to crawl over theirs to snag some treasure.

I picked up an AC compressor for the Avalon for $28 US. Day yum!

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
1,667 Posts
That car looks just like the one in my shop, minus the rust. I sure wished I could get a seat adjuster knob off a 560. It the last thing I need to have a complete car. They seem to be unique to 560Sl's. I have bought 2 on e-Bay and none are correct.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you take one off ? I'm going back in a day or two if i can figure out how to take the front spoiler off . Still some good parts left on it or was when i left monday. Had to work today and it rained , Two Strikes.

·
Registered
89 SL RENNtech / 89 AMG 560 SEC
241 Posts
3 screws across the front , then reach up under the car at the front corner and there will be a plastic object which has a point to it facing upwards - unscrew that with your hand

Regards, Roland

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Roland thanks a lot in advance. If i get it off the next time your near Jax give me a shout, Starbucks on me:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nascar Fan i'll try and get the seat knob off i'll let you know if i'm sucessful. I know responding twice shameful way to get my count up:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1987 560SL
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nascar Fan ; I tried to get that knob off for you today, Stupid thing would not come off. Everthing inside bad water damage saw some rust on post. The whole inside of trunk rusted. Thank God the front spoiler is plastic. I'll keep a look out for one for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts