Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1998 SLK 230
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
very hot day today in melbourne - 40deg C! / 104 deg F

1yr later with STAR DAS thermo fan "mod" it is working well. even in very hot weather, start stop, the temp stays just above 80c - always! before i would sit on 100 or just a tad over

Attachments

·
1998 SLK 230
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
99 SLK 200 K (M111.943, Eaton M62, 5 Speed Manual) SL55 AMG look, 18'' AMG style 4
128 Posts
Subby do you remember the default temperature that thermostat was on before your mod?
I think that Mercedes programs this depending in which country the car is for sale. Here in Greece we have between 20-25 degrees C for over 6 months per year with coldest days at about 5 C for less than a month and warmer over 35 C for over 2 months. I know this mod for a long time now, but for the reason that the dealer doesnt agree with this, I want to take the responsibility of the mod, but first I want to be sure about the real temp. If it is already low enough from factory, I would make eg only 5 degree C lower

·
1998 SLK 230
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
before mod it would sit on around 88-90c in cool weather, normal driving with no start/stop traffic. but when you push the car hard this would rise to 97-100c. it also would hit these temps in the hot summer here and in heavy traffic, but never more than that (100c)...

problem is once you start getting hotter the car retards the timining and this lowers power and it feels sluggish after pushing it hard or in very hot weather. now it feels perfect all the time.

only "downside" is in winter it takes a little bit longer than normal to get to operating temp (above 80c). but i dont mind i drive the car lightly and slowly until it gets to operating temp. here our lowest temp is probably 10-12 deg c. never gets to freezing or below 0.

so it does actually roughly lower it by 10c depending how hot it is outside. 88-90 to 80-82 ish.

it will never go under 80 which is correct - the car will run super rich and chew more fuel as it is too "cold" for the motor. the ideal temp is low 80's for the motor.

to program it takes less than 5min, you can try any number between 0 and 10. i just did 10 and ive had no problems. can try say 5 and see how you go with a few days driving... you can always change it!

·
Registered
99 SLK 200 K (M111.943, Eaton M62, 5 Speed Manual) SL55 AMG look, 18'' AMG style 4
128 Posts
thanks Subby, I ll try for 5C in the next months to see how it goes, I am on winter now, 8C today

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
42.5 here today and coolant at about 85-90C

Strange because during winter the coolant peaks at about 95C(stop/start driving) but when the really hot weather hits, it's cooler

Initially thought it was due to having the A/C fan on fairly high to bring on the coolant fan but it's the same on low - obviously something is triggering the fan to come on earlier?

Oberoi

·
1998 SLK 230
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
the inputs it uses to process when to turn on fan and what speed are;

1) engine speed/crankshaft position
2) air mass
3) coolant temp

i think the air con is causing it to come on sooner as the fan needs to cool the condensor for the air con system. if you switch off the a/c all together it should pretty much be the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Thanks Subby - pretty neat system anyway - I had visions (in winter) of having to flush the system to get enough cooling in summer -was also confused about it as the coolant is done regularly and is crystal clear.

Oberoi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts