Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, this is probably a bit esoteric, but I had noticed the missing bushing while doing the O2 Sensor Job.

This would also explain the subtle rattling over rough roads.

You may also feel a looseness in the shifter, or "clunk" during shifting. I had NEITHER, and yet the entire bushing was missing!! Go figure!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
your picture come from which model exactly ? i see on your picture the part connected to the rod with a lock screw. i need this part! sorry for my english :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Replacing Shift Linkage Bushing : Additional Tips

Thanks for the wonderful photos for DIY.
I only needed 2 tools for this job on my ML55.
1)Long thin screwdriver
2)Needlenose Visegrip

Jack up the drivers side for easiest access to bushing location.
Tight area for my hands required visegrip to hold old clip and long screwdriver to unlock clip from linkage. Once the clip was opened, I pulled the needlenose and the clip was off. The bushing goes on without ant great pressure needed. Re-installment of clip was just as easy with these two simple tools. The photos really took the guess work out of the equation. Thanks to all that upload photos/videos for DIY. Total time of repair was 20 minutes. See if your local MB dealer would charge and the savings is amazing.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Total time of repair was 20 minutes. See if your local MB dealer would charge and the savings is amazing.

Ja,
I recall one member getting some laughable charge of like... $200? or something equally ridiculous for a 10 min repair.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
680 Posts
Thanks ! There are bushings on both ends. I put mine on (also missing) a few months ago. The shifter feeling is a little less loose. I noticed mine during a first good inspection underneath - a rear trans bracket, which was supposed to be bolted w/ 2 bolts to the trans, was not. There was a metal plate, rubber middle piece, and then the bracket. The plate and rubber piece had been staying in place only due to friction. The 2 bolts and bushings from the dealer were just pennies.

You'd think these bushings would last longer - these aren't stick shifts!

Now if I can just find that DIY for tightening the wiper/light/cruise stalks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts