Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a follow-up to a thread I posted earlier. WIS & alldata were not very clear on the subject, so I want to send a bit "thank you" to fellow forum member "SlickyRick" for providing the procedure! So, without further delay, I present you a G-AMG style Photo DIY.

Step 1: Open the sunroof slightly. Grasp the trim piece at the front of the sunroof and pull down and twist forward slightly to remove it.

Step 2: Raise the rear of the sunroof and look at the little rubber bellows. It has a tab in the upper rear part that is connected to a hole in the sunroof frame. Just tug gently to pull it out

Step 3: Pull the rubber bellows off of the top and bottom rails. It's just pressed in there, so just pull gently and it will come right out. Be careful to not lose the little metal clips on the top of the bellows.

Step 4: Examine the bottom track that the bellows was pressed in to. You will be removing this piece. The front part is connected to a little plastic piece that connects to the front of the sunroof, and the back is connected to a small fork-like protrusion about midway on the sunroof frame.

I didn't get a picture of the back part. Sorry.

Remove this piece by pulling / working it straight out horizontally. A gentle pull on the back part will disengage it from the rear and then you will have to work it around a little bit to get the plastic clip at the front to let go of the sunroof frame

Do the same on the other side.

Step 5: Close the roof and the liner fully. Then, while holding on to the liner handle, open the sunroof fully. The roof will open and the liner will stay put. Then simply push up on the front of the liner and pull it out from the top!

Attachments

Reactions: Sgt.Kanyo

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more addition: Here's a detail shot I did about how the liner gets retracted with the roof:

And here's a picture of the monster piece of fallen insulation I was able to remove once the liner was out of the way:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what do you do if nothing opens on my 1995 s320 i can't get the cover to open either
You have to find a way to get the cover to slide back or you're totally screwed, because in that case you will have to remove the entire headliner and sunroof pan to get at the mechanism.

Try and see if you can slip something between the liner and the roof (I used a metal yard stick on mine) and see if you can find any obstructions and knock them out of the way. The glue on that insulation is very sticky and you will not be able to slide it around if the glue has stuck to the bottom. You have to pry it up or knock it over.

Good luck!

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
2,307 Posts
Nice work Bob! :thumbsup: The only thing missing to make it a real G-AMG DIY is a wrench from Germany and a watch from Switzerland. :D

·
Registered
mercedes s320 lwb 18k kms
457 Posts
great photo diy bobs, and thanks for giving me credit... your the one who did it. one more piece of sharing... i agree with bobs that we should be careful not to lose the metal tabs that connect the bellows to the glass roof...but i actually do not remove the bellows anymore. i just leave it there and only remove the bottom connection to the rail. the bellow stays hanging on the roof. i also never turned any of the trim pieces to get the rail out i simply just pull the side out and pull the rail towards the back to disengage the front catch...some of our friends might want to try that.... but bobs has the pictures and the system works so we are all happy, do what works...cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
can anyone tell me how to take the headliner down i had looked and there is a linkage hanging down and everything is jammed together it would be well apreciated

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes E500
1,193 Posts
My sunroof is kinda getting caught when i try to roll it back. So if i remove the headline inside of it will i need to replace it with a new one of just install it without one?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pull the liner out, and then reach in there and pull out all of the fallen insulation. That's what is causing your roof to stick. Once you have it cleaned out you can reinstall the liner and it will work like it should.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im having a bit of difficulty getting the actual liner to retract with the sunroof(glass). I know that i have that bar installed incorrectly but i cant find pictures more detailed to verify this. Any help would be greatly appreciated

*i also removed all of the insulation while i had the liner out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Bob

Thank you very much for taking the time to clarify this procedure. I have the MB STAR Service Manual Library and it was useless without this additional instructional and picturorial supplement.

JIM

·
Registered
W220 S320 CDI 2005; W140 S280 1994 (Sold Nov. 2012)
867 Posts
Removal Procedure for Earlier Roof Liner

I finally decide to try to stop the liner for my glass roof from rattling. I could always stop it by pulling it back a few inches but I was never very happy with this solution. So, secure in the knowledge that I had Bobs' pics to guide me, I removed the two tracks, as described, but the liner still slid back with the roof. After some neck-aching examination, I realised that my liner was subtly different and there was nothing on the liner to engage with the two tracks.

I recalled that, in an earlier thread about this topic, Dutch had posted sketches of clips which were supposed to engage the liner - but which Bobs couldn't find - because he doesn't have them, I guess. So I went in search of these clips and finally found them. This is the link to Dutch's post.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w14...interior-sliding-door-rattle.html#post3150593

So here are some photos of the removal procedure for my type of liner and how I fixed my rattle.

The first pic shows one of the two clips: liner is right back and roof is up. A blade of my trusty Swiss Army knife is under the clip but you can still see the tang that engages with the liner to pull it back. Second pic shows the clip lifted up and tang is now clear of liner. Using Bobs' procedure of closing the roof, sliding the liner closed and holding it closed while sliding open the roof, it is then possible to pull the liner out at the front of the roof aperture.

Pic 3 shows my liner which has two pairs of louvred inserts - Bobs' has one pair - and this may be the easiest way of distinguishing between the variants. Pic 4 shows one of the strips that the tangs engage to slide the liner back.

Pic 5 shows the source of my rattle. This split guide tube carries the operating rod for the roof and the rod can rattle inside the tube. The rod is only visible when the roof is raised (Pic 6). The padded channel on the upper side of the liner (Pics 3 & 7) normally presses against the split tube and puts a gentle bend in it which stops the rattle. However, when the liner is fully-closed this is not effective - perhaps because the padding has relaxed over a 16 year period.

Pic 8 shows my solution which was to thicken the padding over the initial part of the channel by gluing a piece of leather on to it - and now I am rattle-free!!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 S600 LWB 2011 GLK 350 4matic 2013 Sprinter 2500
412 Posts
Thanks Mike. Right on time. mine started to rattle a couple of days ago

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes E500
1,193 Posts
FINALLY! I need to do mine some times.. i hate having to push it foward just to close it at times.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
To MikeJT : I see you have 4 skinnier vents, compared to my 2 not-quite-as-skinny. The ALLDATAdiy's illustrations describes your setup, but not mine, nor Bobs'. Maybe your year, an early W140, had a different setup than later years, such as my '97.

How far back does your (and anybody else can chime in) shade go back ? Mine has about 4 inches between the handle edge and the sunroof back opening.

·
Registered
W220 S320 CDI 2005; W140 S280 1994 (Sold Nov. 2012)
867 Posts
To MikeJT : I see you have 4 skinnier vents, compared to my 2 not-quite-as-skinny. The ALLDATAdiy's illustrations describes your setup, but not mine, nor Bobs'. Maybe your year, an early W140, had a different setup than later years, such as my '97.

How far back does your (and anybody else can chime in) shade go back ? Mine has about 4 inches between the handle edge and the sunroof back opening.
Hi Dave,

Maybe you can judge for yourself from this pic showing my liner right back. Although it doesn't look like it, the front edge of the liner is actually parallel to the edge of the main roof lining - I guess I had the camera at a slight angle which has introduced some perspective effects.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
That's about where mine stops. From the first couple of pictures showing the "tab", it looked like it was further back, almost to the back edge of the opening, giving a good view of the "tab." I'll take another look, but I don't think mine is like that. I had it out last month to get it reupholstered -- the back end was coming all unglued. I bought new vents and a handle, as the originals were very brittle and there were little cracks in the vents, but still reusable, and not visible from the passenger side. Some of the clips on the handle broke also, but not all.

Maybe I should take out the new ones, and save them for when I trade the car (no plans at all for that), or when they're really needed. Still, it's nice knowing the present parts are 100% intact. Attached is the ALLDATAdiy drawing...looks a lot like yours.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts