Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hmmm,

I don't know what happened to my previous post on this, but it is not in the system any more...

Since DrNaughy is going to be doing this job, I thought I would re-post to help him out.....

I don't know why there are no "Specified" intervals for oil change, but I know on the G, there IS an interval..

I find 50,000 miles is a good round number...

I am in no way promoting use of "Non-Spec" fluid... but I have used Redline products for years, as have "alot" of of the G-Wagen owners, also with good success.....

Many have reported "quieter" diff box, and some "improved gas milage" using the Synthetic gear oil.

Some nay-sayers will say the W140 box is not designed for Synthetics, but I have had ZERO issues nor leak.

Anyhooo, here's the post....

Don't forget to START WITH THE FILL PLUG FIRST!! , just in case you get the DRAIN plug out.... and you CAN"T get the FILL plug out....

To answer DrNaughty's question from previous post.... I believe I usually get 1 1/2 litres of oil out each change..., so buy TWO QUARTS.

You fill until fluid starts to "Dribble" out of the Fill Hole....

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,828 Posts
G-AMG, I am desirous of your most excellent Hazet torque wrench, please send it to me. :D

Oh, BTW, thanks for another great Photo DIY!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G-AMG, I am desirous of your most excellent Hazet torque wrench, please send it to me. :D

Oh, BTW, thanks for another great Photo DIY!

Uuuhhhhhh, No Hablo Ingles???!!

Nice try, though!!

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,882 Posts
PDF'd and added to the knowledge base - thanks again G-AMG!!

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,828 Posts
Erik, sorry for the Espanol, G-AMG started it! :p

I have been looking at these because after many years, my trusty CDI wrench is in need of repair and I feel like rewarding myself. However, the best deal I can find on a Hazet Torque Wrench like the one pictured above is $390. So I guess I better start saving.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Thou shalt not covet...

But if we could I'd be more desirous (in this order):
Just hanging out with G, seems like a very good guy.
The garage (with the tools, of course)!
The Rolex! (which of course makes the requisite appearance)

I'm not sure the first one is actually "coveting" though. :)

Congrats on another nice DIY; the one in the 210 sticky is a bit better, though...not that I'm biased or anything. :rolleyes:

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
Is the rear differential "lifetime fill" like the transmission?

At what mileage should the fluid be replaced?

I'm currently at 128k and I already bought the fluid, though I'm not sure whether to wait a few more thousand miles(like 130k) or do it now.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
50-70k it said

i like to dump it at 30k though.

When i changed mine i was sure i would cry at the black syrup that would come out. last change has been 100k ago and ~10 years.

but what came out was the cleanest, freshest smelling gear oil i've ever drained.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much oil goes in there G AMG?
Off the top of my head? Not 100%, but I think was 1.3 litres. I always get the numbers mixed up- (In between my various models...)

You will need to buy TWO bottles, and you'll be fine.

Just fill til it's starting to leak out the fill hole.

Be sure, though, that the car is "level".

·
Registered
1999 S500 sedan
30 Posts
differntial oil and tranny oil

Fu3lfr3nzy, change the differential fluid between 30,000 miles - 50,000. G-AMG is the man. How's it going buddy? When I changed mine at 80,000 it looked really bad. I went with the mercedes fluid and it seems to work well. i think i was robbed at $10/qt for 2 qts.
Even though mercedes and bmw claim the transmissions are lifetime filled with sythetic fluid, my home boy is a mechanic and he recommends changing the synthetic transmission fluid every 50,000 miles or so. No fluid lasts a lifetime. I guess the question is who's lifetime. The life of a car is technically 5 years then it's fully depreciated. Use only mercedes synthetic transmission fluid. If you drain the catalytic converter as well (as you should) you'll need 8 quarts exactly and the transmission oil filter. If you have a good mechanic, let him do it just make sure he uses the correct fluid. wouldn't hurt to buy the transmission "tool" which is the dipstick. about $50. Don't take it to the dealer. they charged me $400 for the trans oil change claiming they hook the car up to a machine that drains every drop of old oil. this can not be done with the w140. furthermore, they didn't drain the torque converter so only 4 quarts of the total 10 qts were drained. the oil still looked brown and old. I threatened to sue (funny how that gets people moving) they redid the job to my satisfaction as I watched. hope that helps.

·
Registered
98' CL500, 96' S600 coupe & the newly acquired 95' SL600
487 Posts
Fu3lfr3nzy, change the differential fluid between 30,000 miles - 50,000. G-AMG is the man. How's it going buddy? When I changed mine at 80,000 it looked really bad. I went with the mercedes fluid and it seems to work well. i think i was robbed at $10/qt for 2 qts.
Even though mercedes and bmw claim the transmissions are lifetime filled with sythetic fluid, my home boy is a mechanic and he recommends changing the synthetic transmission fluid every 50,000 miles or so. No fluid lasts a lifetime. I guess the question is who's lifetime. The life of a car is technically 5 years then it's fully depreciated. Use only mercedes synthetic transmission fluid. If you drain the catalytic converter as well (as you should) you'll need 8 quarts exactly and the transmission oil filter. If you have a good mechanic, let him do it just make sure he uses the correct fluid. wouldn't hurt to buy the transmission "tool" which is the dipstick. about $50. Don't take it to the dealer. they charged me $400 for the trans oil change claiming they hook the car up to a machine that drains every drop of old oil. this can not be done with the w140. furthermore, they didn't drain the torque converter so only 4 quarts of the total 10 qts were drained. the oil still looked brown and old. I threatened to sue (funny how that gets people moving) they redid the job to my satisfaction as I watched. hope that helps.
I'll definitely keep this in mind.

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
so i am guessing 140,000miles with factory diff oil is bad. is it the diff that causes clicks when your on first gear or is that the torque converter?

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
its going to be done next week, also i am draining the torque converter, and bleeding the brakes, and oh yeah I forgot changing the coolant.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts