Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, "While I'm at it.... WHY Not Do the Parking/Emergency Brake??? It *IS* a very Important Component to the Braking System, ?NO?"

Uffff, Big mistake.

This Job was quite the pain in the Ca-tukus!! I would not recommend it for the "Faint of Heart".

*MAJOR CAVEAT TO ALL- THIS IS NOT THE WIS-Specified WAY OF DOING THIS PROCEDURE!!!!!*

With the Advice of my Dealer-Shop-Foreman-Friend, he thought I could get away WITHOUT taking the Rear Exhaust Apart.... Removing the Rear Seats.... Lot's of "Extra" steps in order to De-Tension the Parking Brake Automatic Tensioning System.

Sooooo, I was **EXTREMELY CAREFUL** to not let the Parking Brake Tensioning Plate at the Bottom, become Dislodged!!

If I had it to do over again, I DON'T think I would have tackled the job.

Getting the Retracting Springs back in took QUITE a long time!!

Anyhooo, since I did the work, I might as well show the NON-STANDARD method I came up with.

It is NOT intended as a guide, and I would suggest you Consult Manual/WIS and do it the "By-the-Book" method. This is for your entertainment value/Laughing at me purposes ONLY.

Please See the "Rear Brake Pad/Rotor R/R" Post to get to the point where you can remove the rear Shoes:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/2086721-photo-diy-rear-brake-pad-rotor.html

BE SURE TO TEST PARKING BRAKE AFTER THE JOB!!! On my Vehicle it is 170 Newtons of Pressure, and "One Click" of Foot-Pedal for Engagement.

G

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 MB 400SEL; 1986 190E 2.3-16 w/ MS II EFI
211 Posts
I recently did my parking brakes since the ratcheting pawl lost its lubrication causing it to get stuck. All I can say it was a b****h to put back. G-AMG was spot on where you need to drop the muffler a bit to get that little room just enough to put that pawl back in place. I won't be doing work on that ever again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts