Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a quest to find the etiology of my trunk handle "mysteriously" Popping out overnight, I was questioning my wife about her car, and she mentions the Lumbar Support just happened to be out as well.

Hmmm.. so while investigating the lumbar support, I turn the lumbar selector to "ZERO", and... lo and behold the Trunk Handle works perfectly.

This tells me there must be a leak in the bladder.

Hooking up an air supply directly to the bladder inflow tube... I hear a "SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" coming OUT of the seat back.

As you can see, there was "quite" a hole in the 11 year old, BRITTLE bladder.

Please be advised, this post is NOT! the WIS specified procedure. WIS instructs you to take the seat out, and basically tear the thing apart... this is to Install the Hard Felt White Backing along with the bladder.

Yes I normally am "by the book", but in this case, it looked safe enough to just keep the stiff Felt backing in-situ, and just remove the old bladder, and Slide in the new one.

It worked great, and took no time at all. The new bladder was $42.

So, here's a post that hopefully will help someone. In my search on the topic, there is NO info on "How To"...

Sorry the post is not as "Detailed" as I would have liked... to be honest it was an afterthought, while I was putting things back together....

G

Attachments

·
M20
4,793 Posts
as always another great DIY

I know it has been mentioned before but I just cant accept the fact that we cant reset the bladder pump ourselves. I hate having to bring this to the stealer. any chance someone else has an idea?

EDIT : added to knowledge base

·
Registered
mercedes s320 lwb 18k kms
447 Posts
g-amg. great diy. may i ask where did you get the bladder? i have the same problem with my 140. i was able to buy the bladder for the driver's side seat but the bladders for the passenger side seat is unavailable. please tell me where i can buy this part....thank you

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
g-amg. great diy. may i ask where did you get the bladder? i have the same problem with my 140. i was able to buy the bladder for the driver's side seat but the bladders for the passenger side seat is unavailable. please tell me where i can buy this part....thank you
Hmmm, I don't know why there would be any difference.... As long as you flip the plastic rivets around, so that the input air line is facing to the RIGHT of the car,,,,, I would "think" it would work.

Oh, I got the bladder at the Stealership.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome job sir! :thumbsup:

And I specifically thought of you and refrained from using the "Clunky" Stahlwille wrench, and opted for the "Manly-Man" one instead.... ;-)

·
Banned
1996 S600 1991 560SEL 1995 S500 2009 S550
986 Posts
good and clean procedure, congratulations, good and well done job!

·
Registered
1997 S500V
272 Posts
In a quest to find the etiology of my trunk handle "mysteriously" Popping out overnight, I was questioning my wife about her car, and she mentions the Lumbar Support just happened to be out as well.

Hmmm.. so while investigating the lumbar support, I turn the lumbar selector to "ZERO", and... lo and behold the Trunk Handle works perfectly.

This tells me there must be a leak in the bladder.

Hooking up an air supply directly to the bladder inflow tube... I hear a "SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" coming OUT of the seat back.

As you can see, there was "quite" a hole in the 11 year old, BRITTLE bladder.

Please be advised, this post is NOT! the WIS specified procedure. WIS instructs you to take the seat out, and basically tear the thing apart... this is to Install the Hard Felt White Backing along with the bladder.

Yes I normally am "by the book", but in this case, it looked safe enough to just keep the stiff Felt backing in-situ, and just remove the old bladder, and Slide in the new one.

It worked great, and took no time at all. The new bladder was $42.

So, here's a post that hopefully will help someone. In my search on the topic, there is NO info on "How To"...

Sorry the post is not as "Detailed" as I would have liked... to be honest it was an afterthought, while I was putting things back together....

G
NICE DIY!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
G-AMG, that's a good post, but not up to your usual quality. I looked through every picture carefully, and not ONCE did I see the Rolex. :p

Nice job and I like the shortcut from the WIS. No reason to do more work than necessary. Has me thinking about removing the top part of the seat on my 210 to change the heater element, but...

Take care and enjoy the well-inflated ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1997 S280
183 Posts
Excellent thread :bowdown:

This afternoon I removed both bladders with ease - found the passenger side to work fine! The drivers side has split along the seam. Currently it is sitting in the garage with a book on it after I injected silicone into the seam in an attempt to seal it. I tried to re-seal it using an iron on low heat, but it just melted it without sticking together. Also tried hot melt glue but that failed to adhere to the bladder. If the silicone fails to stick after curing overnight I think superglue is the next contender. I was thinking about one of the vacuum sealer things you see on those informercials - they suck the air out of your bag of frozen vege and hot seal the plastic together. But I dont have one, nor know anyone who has one! Another option I thought of was to use a bicycle puncture repair kit - the type that uses rubber patches and vulcanizing cement, but will have to buy one.

One thing though - I put the working bladder into the drivers side (they are identical) and when I tested it I ended up moving the rivets right to the top hole of adjustment. Else the support just pushed on my belt area not the small of my back. Now - the seat is superbly comfortable!

I will post up the results of my repair as they come to hand !

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey DiscoDan...

I admire your persistence... but do you think these methods will stay airtight under pressure?

I would suggest just getting a new bladder... they are not "that" much ($40 bucks).

·
M20
4,793 Posts
awesome post

did you pump time out while the bladder was gone? how did you reset it to work again?

i know there was a post somewhere that you have to bring it to the stealer to reset...

·
Registered
1997 S280
183 Posts
I will post up the results of my repair as they come to hand !
Well as promised I have found a very cheap solution !

I picked up one of those travel neck supports, the inflatable U shaped ones used for sleeping on planes. Cost? NZ$9.

Got a shortish length of aquarium air line tubing, cut the tube off the broken bladder and pushed the airline tubing over it. The other end is a very snug fit into the neck support.

Hardest part was getting it into position - ended up folding the sides down to make it a rectangle and used a bit of paper to help slide it all through.

Very cheap and easy fix. I was quoted NZ$150 for ONE bladder from the dealer so it was just not realistic to buy benz in this case.

It's been in the car and running between setting 3 and 4 for the past four months without ANY issues.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,533 Posts
Just found out that the Drivers seat in our W140's have 3 bladders and not just 1. it's called Lateral support bladder Prt number is 140 910 09 75 (driver's seat only) and for the U shaped bladders like G-AMG replaced here in this threat on the previous page are, Prt #Left seat 140-910-2375 / Prt# Right seat 140-910-2475 .
I didnt want to belive it so i rang 4 different Mb spares here in Sydney to confirm they say the same thing , since i only could and can only see 1 bladder ,lol , the other 2 aparently inflate the sides of the seats .
Nothing surprises me anymore with this car ,5 years and still more new things pop up ,lol . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes S320 W140
71 Posts
Part Numbers:
Left (passenger) 140 910 23 75
Right (Driver) 140 910 24 75
$365pair trade - Retail est $200+ each
Still available for out W140 .Parts were manufactured in 9 Jan 12
Sticker on pack suggests something to do with being made by IAC

That plug goes down to the switch on the side of the seat. the Switch goes down to PSE pump. Complicated but simple really.

The old ones 18 years old no good

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts