Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E320 RWD Metallic Black; 2006 BMW 530xi; 2011 E350 4Matic Sport
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got the "Check Lights" malfunction and it turned out to be the one of the "not so obvious" license light bulbs. I did replace both of them and put this DIY together in case one might need it later on. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
899 Posts
Look at the mae man!!

Good job!

THX
B

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2002 ML500
1,982 Posts
Are you sure you can't access them from outside? On the wagon, there are 2 metal screws that hold the plastic. Unscrew them, pop the plastic off and replace the bulb. 2 minutes tops!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hehe it should really be MA-E320 ;-) so it reads wrong .... but nowhere close to my real name. Sergio, I am sure you cannot replace them from the outside as there is no way to take out the plastic molding without removing the nut from the center bolt from the inside. P

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,464 Posts

·
Registered
91 560SEL(RIP),98 E320matic 230k baby!,98 C230,93 500Ehurt,Rover crawler,97 Vulcan,01 R1,02suzukiTLR
55 Posts
I tried three times to get that damm outside lid off with no success and have been driving with only one plate bulb for some time. Great to see this DIY that I will do tomorrow....Thanks

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
A link also to a DIY I posted back in 2007 on this same topic. It seems to have disappeared from the stickies.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1352619-replacing-license-plate-bulbs-sedan.html
Hey, Kobus. I went back and looked at the old DIY stickies (the ones I "decommissioned" when redoing them all into the new format) and didn't see it in there, so apparently it got mishandled sometime prior to that. Joe55 was otherwise copying the DIYs from here to the AMG210 forum and it's not in that one either. To be honest it is easy to make a mistake while working on them and if I was the one who accidentally knocked yours out you have my apologies. I am glad you added it to this one so that both are again available.

One question, MAE320 advocates removing the liner completely and you mentioned it was tight working in there (with yours not fully removed). I'm going to change mine out to the LL bulbs as a preventative, in your opinion does it make it easier to pop the extra inserts out and remove the liner completely or is it more a question of the recess being difficult to access irrespective of the liner?

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gregs, its up to you. I hate creases and I was afraid I was going to make one, that's why I removed the liner. I am sure you can do it without removing the whole thing. It takes 10 minutes less :)

·
Registered
2007 E550, 2007 GL450
479 Posts
Just replaced mine but...

..I didn't remove the inner liner? I just unscrewed the three Phillips bolts on the trunk lid handle and removed that. Popped out the bulb holder and replaced the bulb. Did it in the parking lot of a Canadian Tire store, took about 5 minutes.

I removed the bulb holder by gently pushing it to one side and then it just lifted out.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
One question, MAE320 advocates removing the liner completely and you mentioned it was tight working in there (with yours not fully removed). I'm going to change mine out to the LL bulbs as a preventative, in your opinion does it make it easier to pop the extra inserts out and remove the liner completely or is it more a question of the recess being difficult to access irrespective of the liner?
Sorry, I was not on for a few days. It will be easier if the full liner is removed, but it's not essential. The part that will make it easier was actually mentioned by somebody else in my original thread, and that is to pop the complete bulb holder out once you have removed the liner. I found the most difficult part was to position the bulbs in the clamps, since they are extremely tight and the workspace is awkward with the bulb holder in place.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
..I didn't remove the inner liner? I just unscrewed the three Phillips bolts on the trunk lid handle and removed that. Popped out the bulb holder and replaced the bulb. Did it in the parking lot of a Canadian Tire store, took about 5 minutes.

I removed the bulb holder by gently pushing it to one side and then it just lifted out.
Definitely not possible on the face-lift model.

·
Registered
2007 E550, 2007 GL450
479 Posts
Definitely not possible on the face-lift model.

Ah, gotcha, that makes sense. That and the easy access to the front fog lights are some small bonuses for the pre-facelift cars I suppose! ;)

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Ah, gotcha, that makes sense. That and the easy access to the front fog lights are some small bonuses for the pre-facelift cars I suppose! ;)
Removing the headlamps is also very easy on the early models. It's easier to remove the whole headlamp to do a bulb change than to try to access the bulbs from the rear.

In addition, I don't mind the old look at all.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
But the steering wheel controls make up for the light changing problems, especially since I rarely change the bulbs, but use the controls on a daily basis. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
license plate bulb replacement

:bowdown:
followed the instructions, removed the trunk lid covering and the replaced both bulbs. Instructions were spot-on. Most difficult part is inserting the new bulbs. Entire process took (maybe)30-45min. thank you for the info.

2000 E320

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts

That's how I did mine too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts