Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets.

I realize there are different Variations on different years/models... but Still... I had a difficult time researching the "Type and Number" of Bulbs in the Instrument Cluster.

Surprisingly, even EPC does not give an actual Break-down of the type/# !!!

Sooo, I thought I would give "my" particular model and experience... a 1999 S420.

PLEASSEEEEE be very very Careful! These Clusters (by History) are "Sensitive" to Stresses, and have been know to Crack/Break, with is a Crazy-Expensive "Oooopppsss". Use care on both Removal AND Install!

Anyhoooo, I think the photos are self-explanatory...

G

Attachments

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
Great G-AMG,

Where do yo get the Instrument Cluster Removal tool?

Thank you,

Martin

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Get the part number from the pics and ask the dealer. I got mine off flea-bay.

The early clusters are messier, there are multiple plugs on the back and to do the 4 main gauge face bulbs a couple of screws need to be removed and the back hinges up. Still pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which bulb on you picture is the low gas/ fuel light ?

"Probably" one of the Beige ones... but my Advice to you is: JUST CHANGE THEM *ALL* while you are there!!

If you go through AutoHausAZ, the bulbs are a FRACTION of the cost for the same exact Sylvannia/Osram Bulb as the Dealer will sell you at 6X the price.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Great G-AMG,

Thank you,

Martin
You can get them on Fleabay.... or you could check a dealer such as Caliber Motors down your way in Anaheim.. ask for their "Wholesale" Parts Desk.

They are around... ?$15 Bucks??

The Bulb Tool was ca. $3 bucks.

·
Registered
2010 E350 4matic
325 Posts
Thanks G-AMG for yet another great diy guide. The bulb for my temp is on it's way out and I was actually thinking about replacing it.

Cheers

·
Registered
1998 S320LWB
654 Posts
You can get them on Fleabay.... or you could check a dealer such as Caliber Motors down your way in Anaheim.. ask for their "Wholesale" Parts Desk.

They are around... ?$15 Bucks??

The Bulb Tool was ca. $3 bucks.
G-AMG
Can we simply go the the "Wholesale" parts desk at the dealer for the discounted pricing? Won't they ask for our business name and account?

BTW, when performing the cluster removal I found that an application of MB naptha (identical to what is used for installation of stabilizer bar busings and lower control arm bushing works great for lubing the 2 rubber strips on the cluster and aids in their installation and subsequent removal.

Shim

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are a few "Wholesale" Departments which sell Directly to the Consumer. Two which I have dealt with in the past are Caliber Motors (Anaheim for you... but remember you have to pay you Zillion Percent Calif State Sales Tax ;-) or Duval Motors in Florida.

One other Online Place which I have interacted with, which is right in your backyard, is:

Mercedes Benz Parts at Wholesale - OEM Auto Parts

As a Disclosure: I have not PURCHASED anything from them, but their prices are really REALLY Low. I was inquiring about a certain old M-B Tool, and the guy at the above site was nice enough to admit they couldn't source one, and went the extra mile to Track one down for me at an obscure Dealership in Kansas, and even forwarded me their Phone Number. I was "Impressed".

Another Option which most folks have never tried: Just go to your Local M-B Dealership, and Wheel & Deal a bit. Get chummy with the parts manager. Ask if you can set up a "Wholesale" Account with them. Or, just flat-out ASK the Parts Dest Guy, "Hey, can you cut me a Discount on this Part??"

My motto in life is: "It doesn't hurt to ASK, as long as you do it politely!"

·
Registered
1996 S500 78k
9 Posts
question??
the bulb that lights the exterior temp. display. is it actually a bulb or
some light emitting hi-tech device.
TY. gentlemanKRS

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
question??
the bulb that lights the exterior temp. display. is it actually a bulb or
some light emitting hi-tech device.
TY. gentlemanKRS
Yes, it's a bulb back-lighting an "LCD" type display.

Plan on replacing ALL the bulbs, while you are there.

I was REALLY shocked how Inexpensive the bulbs were at AutohausAZ, for the same exact bulbs which came from the factory. The dealer pricing is 4 or 5X more.

·
Registered
99 S320 (Sold at 280,000 miles) 2010 S550, 2008 C300, 08 SLK
427 Posts
Cluster pulling tip...

I just replaced all of the bulbs in my cluster. After trying to fabricate the pulling hooks, to no avail, I finally broke down and bought them (30.00) I recommend getting the hooks, they make the job much easier. ALSO, in the pics G-AMG posted, you can see the plastic serrated edges just behind the clear plastic lens on both sides the cluster. Try to avoid using these to attach the hooks to pull from. I think this is why some have cracked their lens. At least in my case, the cluster was WAY too snug to pull from there. Instead, on the hooks, there are marks that indicate how far in you need to push the hooks. At that depth there are several areas that you can hook onto. It may take a while to locate them but it's better than cracking the lens.
What might help is to remove the air vent grate on the left of the dash so you can actually look at the back of the cluster and see the areas I mentioned where the hooks can attach.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The "Serrated" Zone is the section which WIS directs you to engage.

·
Registered
88 Mercedes 300SEL/15 Hyundai Sonata/91 Cadillac DeVille/72 Caprice Estate/73 Pontiac Grand Ville
540 Posts
Great G-AMG,

Thank you,

Martin
When I called my local MB dealer (on lunch) two separate times, some kid in the parts department answered the phone and I explained this part to him and he didn't even know what it was. He said to call back when the other guy was there... or call back with the part #. lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts