Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets,

I recalled from a past post, someone wondering, "How To?".

Since I had to replace the yucky-looking Star on my wife's car, I took some pics.

You don't need the special tool shown here, just a set of combination pliers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz S320 Long Wheelbase.
544 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what did that new hoodie run you at the dealer?

I'm thinking about buying one as a backup.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NZ Benz- There are no "part numbers" on alot of Stahlwille tools. I looked in the latest Catalogue, and the don't appear to carry the tool any more. There is a Hazet version, though
Part# 2735 http://www.hazet.de/eng/katalog/kap7.pdf#page=10&view=Fit

W140 FTW- I have a "wholesale" account, so it was around $20 for me. I think the "standard" fare is around $25. Call Caliber Motors in Cali, or Duval Motors in FLA. They should be cheaper. You can also check Ebay. Just make sure you have the correct part number.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what did that new hoodie run you at the dealer?

I'm thinking about buying one as a backup.
If your really worried about it being stolen they do sell removable ones on Ebay now and then the base stays in the car like a flat one and the star slides in and locks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
someone attempted to take mine this past weekend -- the star emblem is still there but its been pulled and is hanging on "by-a-thread"

question: is there a way to tighten it back on -- or will have to replace the entire assembly as shown here???

thanks!

·
Registered
99 S320 (Sold at 280,000 miles) 2010 S550, 2008 C300, 08 SLK
426 Posts
It's probably best to just replace it rather than have it hang there and attract the wrong attention. I've heard of people sharpenig the bevel edge of the circle around the star so when someone grabs it .......Althought I wouldn't recommend it, they may get pissed and do more damage! But it's fun to think about !!! ;-))

·
Registered
1997 E420
65 Posts
I got the star from mercedes it was only like $12. I tried to follow the procedure listed but had some problems. The hook that opens the hood is right under the star. When I tried to turn the tool to put the new one in, the hook was in the way and I could not put it in straight. Is there a way to temporarily remove the hook or is there an easier way to do this?

·
Banned
2008 C200K (W204) & 1998 SL500 (R129) Imperial Red
3,373 Posts
It's probably best to just replace it rather than have it hang there and attract the wrong attention. I've heard of people sharpenig the bevel edge of the circle around the star so when someone grabs it .......Althought I wouldn't recommend it, they may get pissed and do more damage! But it's fun to think about !!! ;-))
DAMN!!!! Thats sooooo Brilliant!!!! I dont know why I didnt think of this lol..

My badge as been broken off before I bought the car, and the previous owner just glued it back on with "Pratley" or some other kind of resin glue.. The glue is grey, so its hardly noticeable from a distance, but the trained eye you will spot it...

I was going to replace my badge anyway, so when I get my new one I will try this on my old badge that I take off the car. if I can get back that high polished look, with the sharpened edges, I will definately do it to my new badge!! hahahahaha

I live in Johannesburg, South Africa.. We have some of the highest crime rates in the world, so if a dirty-basterd tries to pull off my badge, let his fingers get slashed!!!! ahahahahahaha!! absolutely brilliant!!!! That will teach him not to mess someone elses badge ever again! Maybe even re-think crime all together (though highly unlikely)... lol

Awesome piece of info.. and thanks for the write up G-AMG, this info will also be useful when Im replacing mine :) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1997 S666-The Beast
870 Posts
I like the tool. Just for the record, it is possible to simply grab the piece underneath and with a little brute force and a little luck, you can turn it by hand.

I removed the hood ornament off my W202 that way. Havent done it on the W140, but I would imagine its the same design..... if not, my bad :D

·
Registered
92 W140 300SD 97 VW Jetta TDI 89 VW Fox diesel
996 Posts
MB hood ornaments use to be targets around here but that was several years ago. It appears that the fad of 'collecting' MB hood ornaments has subsided in my area anyway.

I just got a new OE ornament, MSRP according to parts.com is $31 so I would have spent more than that at my local MB dealership. I bought one online for $28 and change.

If theft was an issue with these I would contemplate changing to the coupe emblem even though that really doesn't fit with the image of the sedan IMO. I could also see swapping to the coupe emblem in the winter.

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
i just used a flat head screw driver. and these get broken by people in my college parking lot. they broke a couple of mines so i just threw on a flat hood emblem :)

·
Registered
1997 S666-The Beast
870 Posts
i just used a flat head screw driver. and these get broken by people in my college parking lot. they broke a couple of mines so i just threw on a flat hood emblem :)
Reminded me of a funny story actually - funny to me anyway.

i pulled into a 7/11 carpark just as some random Japanese countryside mum and her 3 year old were walking past in front of my now stationary car towards the 7/11 doorway, which was on my left.

The kid instantly heads to my car before I have even had the chance to turn the engine off - S666 had literally just stopped moving - and grabs the hood ornament and starts yanking it back and forth with all his might....

The dumbass mum wasnt even looking - completely oblivious to the fact that her kid had almost walked into the front of a moving car, not to mention he was nearly about to start busting it....

I gave her a second or two to notice but she didnt, so I just laid into the horn :D

Never seen a kid jump so high in my life with such a wide eyed look of fear... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
lol nice story and happy ending. use should throw on a pair of ponton horns on your w140. i did mine with 1954 mercedes horn and those are really loud i will try and record a video. my dad use to do chroming and he chromed it before i installed it :) these stuff are worth over $2000 if you have the right one :) (most expensive is a 54 and it was called a hitler bosch horn they get sold for over $2,500 and that is the one i have ;) )

and no racial stuff involved in the word hitler bosch horn it was called that because it can kill chickens and knock out cats but i need to get mine re adjusted so they get fresh :)

·
Registered
1997 S666-The Beast
870 Posts
it can kill chickens and knock out cats but i need to get mine re adjusted so they get fresh :)

Dude, I think LOL doesnt cover what I did when I read that... more like PMP

The last two letters stand for "my pants"... you figure the rest out... :D

I want one....

·
Registered
1999 E320 Black on Black
162 Posts
In the '80s, my Dad wired up something to blow the horn on our Cadillac when the hood emblem was pulled. We never lost another emblem. I need to find out how he did that.

·
Registered
1997 S666-The Beast
870 Posts
In the '80s, my Dad wired up something to blow the horn on our Cadillac when the hood emblem was pulled. We never lost another emblem. I need to find out how he did that.
Perhaps a cocked shotgun just behind the grille... and the trigger connected somehow hahaha

1 - 20 of 24 Posts