Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a bummer...

This Headlamp lens isn't but a few months old.... and my wife the "Rock Magnet" busts another one...

Due to our heat/humidity, I have to change when there's a crack, otherwise, the moisture quickly corrodes the Shiny Mirror Finish on the Reflector part of the Headlamp.

Soooo, here I go again with a second replacement.

The only "hard" part is getting the 3rd 8mm screw/bolt (the one near the wiper fluid filler neck).

I've done it "both" ways.... A- Lightly attaching the other two bolts, then wiggling the light assembly to get the hole lined up for the 3rd bolt, AND
B- Getting the 3rd bolt lined up first, then applying the other 2 bolts.

For me... there was no significant difference. Just be careful not to drop the bolt...

If you are buying the MB part number, the Lens comes WITH the Gasket... so no need to order separately.

The only other "problem" area is the Trim piece below the lamp. The "Lateral" (Outside) fastening arm is whimpy plastic and can break easily, so be careful getting the piece off/over the wiper arm shaft.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,828 Posts
:thumbsup: Nice Trinamic driver too! Hmmm....

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
This thread came just the right time :thumbsup:

I was planning on replacing the whole assembly rather than just the lens, since the headlamps I want finally came down in a price I want it at :D

Is there a DIY link for the driver side btw? Thanks :)

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good JOB !!
Have wanted to do this myself, due to some condensation inside my lamps..
And now I can.. Thanks ..
Eirik,

Don't be surprised if there is "oxidation" of the reflecting surface inside.

Perhaps the experts here can lead you as to how to "clean" this..... I was UNABLE.

When I tried a light polish, it just made it WORSE!! Sooo, I just left it as is.....

G

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,882 Posts
Not a rolex in sight... I think we have an imposter in our midst :)

·
Registered
500SEL
67 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but great right up! I didn't know what I would encounter until I saw this thread. As you said, the toughest bolt to get back IN was the passenger side by the washer fluid cap.

It took me about 15 minutes just to get that one lined up. Thanks for your input!!!

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Great write up, I need to do my washer tank or sender one of these days and it hasbeen suggeasted to remove the headlamp

·
Registered
1996 Mercedes Benz S320
25 Posts
FANTASTIC JOB G-AMG. I changed out both cracked lens and one corner blinker light in less than two hours, plus low beam bulbs with the pics. Thanks for the pictures, it allows even a novice to do the job with confidence.

·
Registered
S600 1996 metallic blue sedan
1,209 Posts
I did this job today and replaced the right wiper motor. I didn't completely remove the headlight housing. Removing all bolts other than the "difficult one" loosened up the housing enough to remove the motor ass'y from the rear. You can gain access to the washer tubing through the tow hook cover. Also, the lenses can be removed without removing the housing bolts at all. the clips come out easier by using a small flat head screw driver perpendicular to the lense...that is put the tip in the clip hole closest to the body and simply let it unspring. Be easy cleaning the reflectors as they are old and can "wipe off". the turn lenses have to be removed to get to the other clips. Awesome write up and makes a real difference in the look of the car and performance of the headlights!

Replacing the wiper motor took about 45 mins...cleaning both headlight lenses took about 30 mins. :D

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
hey there g-amg i say this article before buying my 97 s500 and before i bought the car I wanted those projector style headlights but after a while the factory xenon ones grabbed my attention and they were nice :) can you give me the part number for the xenon lens? also they stopped making the upper seal for the headlight at the dealer :( another question i had was mine has the leveling headlights but both of my plugs are damaged can you help find the green connectors part number? i know i asked alot of questions but when it comes to w140 repairs your the best on explaining :)

·
Registered
S600 1996 metallic blue sedan
1,209 Posts
headlight gasket varies by vin OE #1408261780 . my indie got the upper seal.

·
Registered
98 S500
286 Posts
I replaced both lens, lens seals, upper seals, screws and nuts on my headlights. Good as new!

Although, I could not muster the strength to get the center bolts back in!

·
Registered
W140 1998 S320
297 Posts
Great post and and just in time
Mine is cracked too and need to be replaced
I wonder how much the oem cost for the s320 1998

·
Registered
1998 S320LWB
654 Posts
Headlamp Lenses Available

I have MB S-Class W140 Headlamp Lens for a Great Deal! 75% off MSRP. They are only 2 years old. These are Mercedes OEM with Gaskets Cleaned and Polished. Ready for installation Exterior cosmetic wear only. Left Part #140 820 7966 and Right Part #140 820 8066. Detailed Photographic Instructions Included. Both for $68 includes Free Shipping.

Shimshon

DSC09553.jpg

DSC09554.jpg

DSC09555.jpg

DSC09562.jpg

DSC09563.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts