Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 Sedan Base
227 Posts
When I initially tried to use the "sucky" method with a Mityvac on my MY 2010 E350 I had a tough time. Following the instructions I tried to insert the tube down the dip stick and got very little oil out (less than half). After going nuts for a few days and with the help of a MB forum I found that if I:

a. Discarded the smaller hose.

b. Reversed the "plug" and forced the larger hose into the plug and DID not try to push it DOWN the dip stick hole and just used the large "plug" at the TOP of the dip stick hole. Being sure it was seated well.

Doing this the oil pumped out completely and very quickly. Whole process was clean, quick (including replacement of the filter). Took all of 10 minutes.

The instructions that came with the Mityvac were not valid for my car at all and if followed will be frustrating. The dip stick housing is the extraction tube on this car.
So were you able to get most of the oil out?

·
Registered
05,cl65: 33 ford 3wc.
24 Posts
I just did my 05,cl65 oil change first time from my lift, plenty easy, have to remove a shield no problems. I also added oil at the filter location, good thing I checked the filter well when done as one of the oil cap plastic rings that normally remain on the bottle fell in, so be careful. Also, if you fumble the fill your right over the serpentine belt, nuff said.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So were you able to get most of the oil out?
Not only in "MY" experience, but also of numerous other folks.... I can get around 200 cc of oil MORE with the Sucky-Sucky, than I can with Gravity Drain.

·
Registered
2012 E350 4Matic
33 Posts
does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced torque wrench? Is one really needed or will strong hand tightening suffice? Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 E350 sport
112 Posts
Torque on the oil filter cap is 25nm or 18 ftlb or 216 inlb. That is not a lot of torque but you are dealing with a plastic cap. I use a Sears Craftsman inch pound torque wrench pn 944593. It works from 25 to 250 inch pounds. A lot of ftlb wrenches will not go as low as 18 ftlb.
Hand tight is to vague to use. My 71 year old hand tight is about 15 ftlb. A young strong man could hit 50 ftlb. Use a torque wrench!

·
Registered
2011 S212, 1978 R107
225 Posts
Further oil change thoughts

I did this job today at around 45,000 miles on my 2011 S212 M272, the car is new to me so I want to have a "baseline" level of maintenance that I build on.

I used the "sucky" method with a Mityvac 7201, which holds 8.8 liters of oil.

Setting up the 7201 for First Use
The first step is to get the 10mm hose that comes with the 7201, find the rubber plug that fits on it, then push the beveled end of the hose through the 10mm hole in the plug until it comes out the other side. On the other side the hole is smaller, about 8mm, and the beveled end of the hard plastic hose will actually cut through the rubber, increasing the hole diameter to 10mm. Remove any excess rubber bits that result from this procedure. Once the hole is cut, pull the hose out and reverse the plug so that the tapered portion fits into the dipstick tube. Push the hose all the way through so it protrudes from the other side, this is as far as it needs to go.

Extracting Used Oil
Remove the dipstick and place the 10mm tube with the plug modified as above into the dipstick tube. Insert the other end of the 10mm tube into the locking connector on the top of the pump. Verify that the valve on the pump is in the "extract" position then give the handle 10 pumps. Before the third pump the oil will begin filling the tank. About half way up you will need to give it a few more pumps to maintain the flow rate, but all the oil comes out in around five minutes. When you see air bubbles in the hose, remove the plug from the dipstick tube with a paper towel so no oil drips and replace the dipstick.

Filter

I used a 74mm, 14-flat wrench with a 3/8 drive to loosen the filter.

There are fine Mann and Mahle filters on the market, but the price difference vs. the Mercedes filter was around $2, so I bought the Mercedes version. It includes a cryptic pictogram which explains where to put the three O-rings: one large one around the top of the filter cap between ridges as shown in the pictogram, and the two identical sized ones on the lower ridges. I coated the rings in new engine oil before installation.

Once the filter was installed, I torqued the cap with 25 NM.

Oil

Mobil 1 European Formula 0W-40 carrying a 229.5 MB-Approval was recently on price rollback at Walmart.com, with free shipping, for approximately $24 for a five quart jug. I bought four of them, you use two for the change and have about a quart left over. While you could use the indicator lines on the side of the jug to know how much of the second jug to pour into the case, I used an oil jug with calibrated marks. In any event I put in around 7.5 liters (4Matic) and adjusted the level to be between the dipstick marks with the oil cold.

Total time, with modification of the 7201 for first-time use, extraction, filter, and reversing the flow of the 7201 to put the waste oil back in the jugs was around 1 hour. Next time around it I think this whole job can be done under 25 minutes, using the oil extractor is a dream compared to lifting the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 C280 and 2010 E350 4-Matic
277 Posts
I just did my annual ritual oil change on my C280 - very similar procedure to the one pictured above. In fact, going to get the oil extractor, and then pouring out the contents and dropping it off a the service station takes more time than the oil and filter change. I use a marine engine extractor - 12V - that takes about 20 minutes to pump out the 7 or so quarts. By that time, I have already changed the filter, and then put in the fresh oil. Done for another year ! For what it's worth, I use Amsoil 5W40 European formula. The cost of oil and filter is just about $100.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,018 Posts
Just as an FYI, the recommended method for non-AMG models is sucking through the dipstick tube. For AMG models it is recommended to drain from the drain plug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The engine oil capacity is 6.9 quart for my 2016 e350 per the user manual. I made the mistake of putting in 8 quart before checking my mityvac 7201 reservoir to see how much i had evacuated. As I result I was overfilled by over a quart and had to suck out the excess. I also have not been successful in resetting the oil service reminder. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,018 Posts
The engine oil capacity is 6.9 quart for my 2016 e350 per the user manual. I made the mistake of putting in 8 quart before checking my mityvac 7201 reservoir to see how much i had evacuated. As I result I was overfilled by over a quart and had to suck out the excess. I also have not been successful in resetting the oil service reminder. Any help would be appreciated.
Be careful to check the correct amount of oil to add. (I know this oil is expensive to waste. One time in a rush I poured 1 Gal/4 Qts Amsoil Signature 5W-30 into my '04 Sienna, only to realize I didn't put the drain plug back first. Mixed right in with the oil oil!)

Hope this helps:

https://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/10699/?requestedDocId=10699

With $60 you can access the technical instructions for your car for about a day, then .pdf/I mean print out what you need.... (Mercedes used to sell the service info on CD-ROMs....)

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,891 Posts
Did I miss it, or there is not note how to reset FSS on those cars?
I went via manual and no word about it neither.
Older models had it clearly written in manual.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,018 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. Are you not able to download the document on my 2nd to last post? On my phone I use the options to request the desktop site, and it retrieves the .pdf with the instructions, which worked fine for me....

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,891 Posts
You replied with startek info after overfill question, so I did not pay attention to it.
Now I see it links to reset procedure
Done it last night. Took time as first procedure did not work on my car, only at the end of 2nd page I found update.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts