Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another "Bride of Frankenstein" Moment...

For a while, now, I've been having troubles with my Front Differential Lock mechanism---> It locked fine... but wouldn't UN-LOCK! I would have to jack the front end up, and monkey with the axle until it un-locked..

After Reading or_550i's saga, I had the encouragement to tear into the system. I ended up doing both the Master and Slave systems.

Now, instead of having to use two arms, and a small boy, to lift the Locker Rods... now it's as slick as snot, and the differentials lock and un-lock, like a DREAM!!

Even more special is to know that now, my truck has an "Organ Donation" from one of our Bretheren's trucks.

Sorry I missed a few pics.... this was a drawn-out affair, and I was doing things piecemeal... so I (photographically!) missed a few steps along the way.

I think you still get the gist of the story...

What amazes me is how much abuse these trucks can handle... yet STILL keep on functioning! How the silly Slave worked at all.... with all of that corrosion, is amazing!

G

Attachments

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Patrick,

would you please expand a bit more how you adjusted the slave cylinder towards the locking gear?

Did you activate the slave cylinder first and then manually engaged the diff lock?

Thanks,

Karl
Karl, Yes, I know WIS describes how you should first "Activate the Cylinder and Engage the Diff lock"... but here was my rationale:

Ok, if there is only AIR in the Slave cylinder, then the Spring-Loaded System is in the most "Relaxed" state it is ever going to be in....

Soooo, if you adjust the Slave so that the Actuating "Finger" of the slave is barely touching the Dog Ear of the Locking mechanism, then this is the ideal "Neutral/Off" position.

Now, when the System is Bled, and you engage the Differential Locker Handle, it will provide the most "Throw" of the Actuating Finger.

Perhaps my logic is incorrect... All I know is the system works PERFECTLY now... and the Light even goes on!

How easily I am entertained.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts