Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Musty or foul smelling Air Vents?

Well, you SHOULD replace the Cabin Filter each "B" Service, or around 10,000 Miles.

Again, very quick and easy..... so no excuse!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thats too cool, Your photo write ups are excellent. I was wondering where the cabin filter was and how to change it. Thank You for taking the time to do these write ups.
Michael

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Definitely reach up in the ducting for the filter as far as you can to clean out any debris. Also, if you are ordering parts online you can usually get charcoal impregnated filters for about the same cost as plain. Charcoal helps minimize the foul smells, at least when the filter is somewhat new.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, Filters DO VARY SIGNIFICANTLY.

I know everybody and their brother loves the AutohausAZ.com for their cheap prices.

BUT... you often get what you pay for.

I was extremely disappointed with the quality of this cabin filter. Literally, their filter had ONE QUARTER of the "mass" as the MB filter.

I had the exact same experience with a W140 Pollen filter....

I think I have learned my lesson.... Stick with MB or MB supplier. Since the application is not particularly mission critical, I just used the thing.

Fuel and Oil filters?? They are FINE. They are the EXACT model as the OEM MB (Knecht und Hengst), but without the "Star".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Definitely reach up in the ducting for the filter as far as you can to clean out any debris. Also, if you are ordering parts online you can usually get charcoal impregnated filters for about the same cost as plain. Charcoal helps minimize the foul smells, at least when the filter is somewhat new.
I just replaced the cabin air filter on a 99 C230 and used the carbon impregnated filter made by bosch. Strange enough the filter has an arrow indicating the air flow direction, but unfortunately there is only one way the filter goes in and fits correctly. That way the arrow points to the wrong direction. Not having any other way to fit it then I left it that way, but it seems that Bosch goofed up on the placement of the charcoal side on the filter. Oh well they have caused me more problems with MAF, CPS, etc. I will try one of the OEM products next time. Hopefully the carbon will still do some odor reduction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Musty or foul smelling Air Vents?

Well, you SHOULD replace the Cabin Filter each "B" Service, or around 10,000 Miles.

Again, very quick and easy..... so no excuse!
Excellent pixs on how to replace the CAF. I attempted to follow instructions on how to do it on my 2006 SLK-280 but it appears that my SLK does not have a CAF under the glove compartment. I took it apart and there was no white plastic brackets, only a big white plastic cover that extend almost as large as the black cover. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Apart from the reduction in odours and dust in replacing the cabin filter, it's amazing how much better increased the airflow is. My air conditioning feels so much crisper.

I highly recommend you other forum members do this on your cars; you'll be pleasantly surprised with the instant results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
FAR888
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing