Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
QUOTE=eundaddy;4604235]G always gets genuine OEM parts. Some OE products aren't 100% identical to the OEM parts. I've had numerous cases where autohaus parts were quite different from dealer parts.

Thats the first time I've ever heard that; I've only gotten genuine mercedes parts from autohaus :) ... but in regards to the idea that Mercedes now makes "new" style brake light switches that self adjust there is a way to tell ... :thumbsup:

***from the russian parts site ?????? ....

Those that desire to find out if there is any updated mercedes part, can do a search on the russian parts site by inserting their vin number and searching for the part, the brake switch light is located under "brake pedal assembly" .... to date there is no updated part # nor "new" styled switch that self adjusts as reported ....

for the brake switch these are the new part#'s to date :

128 A 000 545 86 09 SWITCH
Replaced_By: A 000 545 99 09 -
128 A 000 545 99 09 SWITCH
Replaced_By: A 001 545 01 09 -
128 A 001 545 01 09 SWITCH
STOP LIGHT SWITCH

This is what is currently offered by autohaus :

0015450109 Genuine Mercedes OEM
Brake Light Switch; At Brake Pedal; 4 Pin Connector
1 per car.

CONCLUSION: For the SL500 1998 there is no self-adjusting Genuine Mercedes Brake switch offered by Mercedes at the present date .... Cheers, Fast960[/QUOTE]

recently had my brake light and cruise control fuse blowing over and over again. havent had cruise control for about a year but recently kept loosing all brake lights. Found this thread decided to go to the dealer and get a switch it was $34 dollars. same as the OEM one from autohausaz.com except i didnt have to wait for shipping. the procedure took about 30 mins total thanks to this write up and i DID NOT adjust the plunger the parts guy at the dealer here in San Diego told me it self adjusts so i threw it in and sure enough the new switches self adjust. extremely easy on my 96 C280 and i now have my cruise control and brake lights back. the old switches plunger was for sure bad it was fully depressed and rattled around very loosely.

·
Registered
947 Posts
"i DID NOT adjust the plunger the parts guy at the dealer here in San Diego told me it self adjusts so i threw it in and sure enough the new switches self adjust. extremely easy on my 96 C280 "

the switch is not different than the older switches .... it adjusts IF the plunger is out far enough to depress in when the brake pedal returns against it during installation .... if it is not out far enough then that will not happen ..... its hit or miss and the brake switch is not made any different in that respect .... it could also vary from model to model and switch to switch ...... Glad you had no problem in yours :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Carried out this procedure on my 2000 S202 today, the hidden Phillips screw is under the lever that adjusts the steering position and after that the panel drops away to allow light and access to the Switch.

Haines Manual suggests the part needs to be adjusted/set-up by pulling the white plunger out as far as it will go and depressing the brake pedal when inserting the new switch. As you release the pedal with the Brake Light Switch fitted, the brake pedal depresses the plunger to find its correct level.

On a separate note my BAS/ASR light did not go immediately off after fitting, i drove the car on my 30 mile commute and when i came back to it at lunch time only then had the light had gone off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmmm just throwing it out there but there was no need to adjust my switch or any need to depress my brake pedal whilst putting it on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmmm just throwing it out there but there was no need to adjust my switch or any need to depress my brake pedal whilst putting it on.
I changed three brake switch on 1999/2000/2002 E320, and no need to adjust the switch. It is my opinion that Mercedes made very lousy parts especial in electronic part , I will not buy OEM parts since it is very poor quality comparing to Japan made.:crybaby2:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts