Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my Examination of the Car, I found "No Rear Brake Lights".

After checking the bulbs, and Fuse, I went to the next item on the Diagnostic Tree-- Brake Light Switch.

To be honest, this was the most HORRIBLE procedure done in the whole Day and half devoted to all these jobs. For whatever reason, I could not get the Knee Bolster/Facia completely off, just enough to get my arms in. There must have been one extra screw that either the W210 or W140 doesn't have.

Anyhooo, you get the idea for the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome thread! Thanks - where did the replacement switch come from?
PLEASE only get a replacement switch from the dealership.

It is only, like, $20 bucks...

AFTERMARKET switches are reportedly VERY unreliable....

G

·
Registered
6 Posts
I cannot access or even find the 8mm bolt on the fascia underside. It's not there on the E320 (2002) but something is holding up the cover from being removed. I can see anything that is though.....

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cannot access or even find the 8mm bolt on the fascia underside. It's not there on the E320 (2002) but something is holding up the cover from being removed. I can see anything that is though.....
Sorry, I should have stated, this procedure was on a W202!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks so much...great pics!

I asked my mechanic...he is going to charge me for an 1.5 hours of labor to replace Brake light switch.

Also would a faulty brake light switch cause the lights on the dashboard to run really really low at night when the headlights are on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
great pics...

My mechanic wants to charge me an hour and a half labor to replace brake light switch. does that sound fair?

Also would brake light switch cause the dashboard lights to be extremely low light at night when lights are on?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mechanic wants to charge me an hour and a half labor to replace brake light switch. does that sound fair?

QUOTE]

Seems a bit excessive, "To Me"...

If "I", (the Mechanical Temple Monkey) can do it in 0,5 hours... a "Professional" should be able to beat that...

Granted, I think alot of shops will "Round to the nearest hour".. so you may be stuck with 1,0 hours.

Why not do it yourself? It's not rocket science...

G

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank You. I replaced it in 15 minutes on a 2000 C230 Kompressor all I needed was a phillips screw driver and your pictures. Part cost $27.00 in Mercedes of Pembroke Pines, Florida.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Thanks for this DIY. On a 99 230k, like esantos, I just needed a Phillips screwdriver. There were four screws plus the white plastic cap-thing. There was a screw on the vent but I found it would not turn and might not be a real screw. The backside made it look like a clip. The real thing to note here is that you don't even need to take that off just push the side of the bloster/undertray up a bit and the lip will just slip over the edge of the vent and be clear.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for this DIY. On a 99 230k, like esantos, I just needed a Phillips screwdriver. There were four screws plus the white plastic cap-thing. There was a screw on the vent but I found it would not turn and might not be a real screw. The backside made it look like a clip. The real thing to note here is that you don't even need to take that off just push the side of the bloster/undertray up a bit and the lip will just slip over the edge of the vent and be clear.
Unfortunately, being the "Concrete Thinker" that I am, I tend to follow the WIS to a T... which typically involves doing alot of "extras" which add time/energy. I'm sure there are shortcuts out there.

Glad you are all fixed-up, though!

Enjoy the Ride,
G

·
Registered
947 Posts
Adjust the switch ****

Remember to adjust the switch or your brake lamp will stay on .... Just pull the plunger in the switch out a few clicks before mounting .... while you are inserting the switch have the brake pedal depressed and after switch is in release the pedal and you should hear a couple clicks as it calibrates ... the genuine mercedes part does not self-adjust as I learned today :) Cheers

Fast960

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm, I know the "Old" Style switches required adjustment, but I believe the "New" ones don't.

I did not have to pull the plunger out on my Mother's W202, nor on my W210, nor on my W140, nor my W463. They all work fine, solely by installing the new switch.

You can see a trend here... MB sourced some really FINE quality Brake Light Switches....

G

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hmmm, I know the "Old" Style switches required adjustment, but I believe the "New" ones don't.

I did not have to pull the plunger out on my Mother's W202, nor on my W210, nor on my W140, nor my W463. They all work fine, solely by installing the new switch.

You can see a trend here... MB sourced some really FINE quality Brake Light Switches....

G
4 days ago I installed a new from autohaus Mercedes OE brake light switch for my 98 sl500 and did have to re-install it because I did not pull out the plunger which caused the brake lamps to be constantly on .... after pulling out the plunger and reinstalling it it was fine .... just my experience ....

Fast960

·
Registered
947 Posts
autohausaz could have had that switch in stock for a very long time.
either that or there is no "new" style Mercedes switch ... this thread is the first I've ever heard mention of a "new" mercedes brake light switch that self adjusts ..... tho I am aware that the aftermarket switches are said to self adjust .... maybe those installing the self adjusting switches are using aftermarket switches they think to be Mercedes switches ..... within the text description of some sellers, its hard to tell if its genuine mercedes or what is noted to be "original or better specs" ....

Fast960

·
Registered
701 Posts
either that or there is no "new" style Mercedes switch ... this thread is the first I've ever heard mention of a "new" mercedes brake light switch that self adjusts ..... tho I am aware that the aftermarket switches are said to self adjust .... maybe those installing the self adjusting switches are using aftermarket switches they think to be Mercedes switches ..... within the text description of some sellers, its hard to tell if its genuine mercedes or what is noted to be "original or better specs" ....

Fast960
G always gets genuine OEM parts. Some OE products aren't 100% identical to the OEM parts. I've had numerous cases where autohaus parts were quite different from dealer parts.

·
Registered
947 Posts
QUOTE=eundaddy;4604235]G always gets genuine OEM parts. Some OE products aren't 100% identical to the OEM parts. I've had numerous cases where autohaus parts were quite different from dealer parts.[/QUOTE]

Thats the first time I've ever heard that; I've only gotten genuine mercedes parts from autohaus :) ... but in regards to the idea that Mercedes now makes "new" style brake light switches that self adjust there is a way to tell ... :thumbsup:

***from the russian parts site ?????? ....

Those that desire to find out if there is any updated mercedes part, can do a search on the russian parts site by inserting their vin number and searching for the part, the brake switch light is located under "brake pedal assembly" .... to date there is no updated part # nor "new" styled switch that self adjusts as reported ....

for the brake switch these are the new part#'s to date :

128 A 000 545 86 09 SWITCH
Replaced_By: A 000 545 99 09 -
128 A 000 545 99 09 SWITCH
Replaced_By: A 001 545 01 09 -
128 A 001 545 01 09 SWITCH
STOP LIGHT SWITCH

This is what is currently offered by autohaus :

0015450109 Genuine Mercedes OEM
Brake Light Switch; At Brake Pedal; 4 Pin Connector
1 per car.

CONCLUSION: For the SL500 1998 there is no self-adjusting Genuine Mercedes Brake switch offered by Mercedes at the present date .... Cheers, Fast960

1 - 20 of 27 Posts