Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, another overly pragmatic post on a bread & butter subject... but a item we can often "overlook".

Since batteries are such a Mission Critical Item, I like to keep mine in tip-top shape, so I am not left stranded somewhere unpleasant.

A good preventative program (ie. at each B-Service) should detect a bad cell prior to battery failure, and one of the ways to protect from a failure is keeping the fluid levels/acid balance in the normal range.

Just a few notes,

1- You are working around ACID (Corrosive), and Hydrogen Gas (explosive) so use appropriate protection.

2- When performing a conductance test, it is important to do the test with the battery in a "relaxed" state. This means several hours after driving, OR if you have driven the car, you must turn on the Headlights for 30 seconds, turn them off, then wait a few minutes for the battery to "normalize".

G

Attachments

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 410.000 km
3,608 Posts
Hi,

nice post as usual. But I am surprised that batteries which can be maintained still exist. Mine is maintenance-free but it was not bought at the dealer's.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
Hi,

nice post as usual. But I am surprised that batteries which can be maintained still exist. Mine is maintenance-free but it was not bought at the dealer's.

"maintenance free" is just a term, like "sealed for life transmissions" cough mb cough!

the only true such batteries are sealed deep cycle solid cells like optimas, but they make terrible cranking batteries. if its a primary battery, it will be of the good old 80 year design, with acid in it. and water. whether some moron company decided to seal the top and sell it as maint free is their choice.

amgs posts always make me want to buy more tools.

·
Registered
1998 S600 LWB 2011 GLK 350 4matic 2013 Sprinter 2500
412 Posts
"maintenance free" is just a term, like "sealed for life transmissions" cough mb cough!

the only true such batteries are sealed deep cycle solid cells like optimas, but they make terrible cranking batteries. if its a primary battery, it will be of the good old 80 year design, with acid in it. and water. whether some moron company decided to seal the top and sell it as maint free is their choice.

amgs posts always make me want to buy more tools.
Kinda like permanently lubed bearings.

I want amgs 16' ceiling.

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
this helped me alot on my mazda fluid was low and it wasn't functioning right until now :) once i get a new battery for my w140 i will maintain it(i have aftermarket on it now i want to get the original) :)

thanks again great post :)

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great writeup!:thumbsup:

Wheres the submariner? Hehe:D
I ALWAYS take it off now,,,,,,

So I don't have to hear the Smart-Alick-Y comments....

·
Registered
3,608 Posts

the last time i saw a battery like the one in AMG's pictures was about 30 years ago. But i live in different part of a world so it seems there is different standard in europe and USA. Of course my last battery in my W140 was maintenance-free and it lasted 9 years. usually these batteries last much more than 4 years, I would say the average lifetime is more than 6 years if they are made by good companies. the price for my new one (i replaced it 2 years ago) was 150 EUR and it is made by Bosch (moron company?).

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
the last time i saw a battery like the one in AMG's pictures was about 30 years ago. But i live in different part of a world so it seems there is different standard in europe and USA. Of course my last battery in my W140 was maintenance-free and it lasted 9 years. usually these batteries last much more than 4 years, I would say the average lifetime is more than 6 years if they are made by good companies. the price for my new one (i replaced it 2 years ago) was 150 EUR and it is made by Bosch (moron company?).
30 years ago? seriously? No you didnt. :rolleyes:

like i said, it is the e.x.a.c.t. same battery just sealed on top. id rather have the real thing with the acid access holes. it's just marketing

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
30 years ago? seriously? No you didnt.

like i said, it is the e.x.a.c.t. same battery just sealed on top. id rather have the real thing with the acid access holes. it's just marketing
I am serious. I even do not know if it is possible to buy here a battery like the one on the picture. most probably there are some regulations in europe which are not in force in USA. I am really not sure ... do not know much about this. I do not know what is the main difference between the batteries, i would not say that maintenance free one is just sealed ... the vapours should excape then outside somehow? If not, the battery can explode. If yes, then the level of liquid would decrease over time but it does not happen.

What did Galileo Galilei say? If think something like: "... but it still turns ..."

·
Registered
98' CL500, 96' S600 coupe & the newly acquired 95' SL600
487 Posts
Considering my battery died yesterday in my S600, this would come in handy... NOT. I'm replacing the whole freaking battery. I'm glad I got my trunk open before the battery completely died.

·
Registered
Black on Black 1997 E420
267 Posts
Battery voltage

G-AMG,

My battery is 3yrs old and I added distilled water according to your instructions. Though I do not own the fancy device in your write-up, I tested the voltage afterwards and the readout is 12.24 volts(with the ignition on position 2). Is this reading within an acceptable range? It drops to 11.90 with a running engine.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
G-AMG,
It drops to 11.90 with a running engine.
If that is true, you've got a problem. With the engine running and the alternator functioning properly, you should have around 13.5 V at the battery terminals. Your charging system has a problem.

Brett

1 - 16 of 16 Posts