Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2005 c230 kompressor. The car has the phone kit installed (and has the nav system). I want to get a phone to use with it. Dealer says i can ONLY use the MERCEDES Motorola V710. Is there anything esle that is compatible? Can I not buy a v710 from AT&T? Does it HAVE To be the Mercedes version that they want to charge me $575 for !?!?!?

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
mikeyut3 - 3/21/2005 12:06 PM

I recently purchased a 2005 c230 kompressor. The car has the phone kit installed (and has the nav system). I want to get a phone to use with it. Dealer says i can ONLY use the MERCEDES Motorola V710. Is there anything esle that is compatible? Can I not buy a v710 from AT&T? Does it HAVE To be the Mercedes version that they want to charge me $575 for !?!?!?
It might be risky but you can try eBay ? I have no sellers to recommend.

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
Mercedes has a UHI kit..Europe Only..But Steve @MBENZNL.com can get you a kit ..The Kit will Take SEVERAL different types of phones.. I Have One and Use the NOKIA 6310I ..also added The VA kit for hands free..Works Great!

·
Registered
C230 Coupe; 6 speed
53 Posts
So, does the UHI kit serve the same purpose (e.g. "replace") the MB installed kit? My C230 was "wired" for the phone, but doesn't have the extra option kit already installed (cradle etc...). What did the UHI and VA kit cost you combined? Also, what does the UHI kit do for you if you don't have the VA? (does it still turn down the radio, integrate with the buttons in the car etc...?)

·
Registered
'02 C230k, '01 ML320
1 Posts
You have to use a MB phone, the firmware is unique and a standard motorola will NOT work. You can often find the phones cheaper on ebay than at the dealership. There is no known way to flash a non MB phone with the MB firmware, I believe the firmware size is probably larger than the standard motorola's rom. Also remember that the v710 will only work with a CDMA carrier such as Verizon wireless... People with carriers such as T-Mobile who want to add this phone to their family plans will be SOL. You can thank MB for locking non european owners into proprietary phones again on their newer systems.

As to the UHI system, it is a complete phone system replacement and can be performed by Steve at mbenznl.com. This is obviously not a great solution if you already have a system as it will most certainly cost more than a phone.

If you had an older model phone system (Timeport or v60) there is a device that will allow you to use many different motorola phones on the existing phone hardware by translating between the phone and the phone system controller. The product is called the Mik-Box and is available at http://www.mikbox.com I use one with my T-Mobile Motorola v300 and it is great. I know it does not apply to your situation but who knows, Mik might have a unit for the newer phone systems in the future, and it might be helpful to those with older systems who are viewing this thread.

Sorry for the bad news,
-Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts