Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
ml430
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install a phone that will work with my car (2000 ML) after I accuire the phone and activate it, what else will I need to buy and install?
The dealer did not want to help me with this.

Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
ML Phone

You need to buy the "KIT" from MB, there are install instructions. There are two items the phone and the individual parts. Only the MB phone will work and it is not available on (PCS) aka. Sprint. You need to search maybe you can find one on Ebay

·
Registered
ml430
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ml phone

Thanks Peter ! It is my understanding that the "star tac" is the phone I am looking for? and it must have the MB logo. Do you know a part number or the name of this kit that is needed to make the system work?
Is it worth the trouble and expense?
Thanks!
mark

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm also looking for exact name of phone, & part # for kit

I'm also trying to find out whether a US spec phone will work with Canadian cell providers...

Does anyone have any insights?

Much appreciated.

J

·
0 Posts
I would like to install a phone that will work with my car (2000 ML) after I accuire the phone and activate it, what else will I need to buy and install?
The dealer did not want to help me with this.

Thanks!
Mark
Hi Mark,

I just finished installing a mb startac phone in my 2001 CLK. It's real simple once you get everything you need straightened out. I puchase the complete kit from eBay, minus the voice recognition module, Y-cable (the one that came on the PSE was the wrong hookup for clks) and mounting bracket, for 300. I think I spent a total of ~800 when all was said and done, including voice recognition.

The best thing to do, is go here:
http://www.alldata.com/products/online/index.html//
pick your vehicle, and it will guide you through more than just installing the mb phone.

I'd walk you through my set up, but the components are located in different places in the car.

The only thing your going to have to worry about is whether your ML is a late or early 2000 year model. I heard there may be a couple extra wires (fiber optics) to run if it's early production.

The PSE (Q6820648)is universal, as well as the compensator (Q6820657).

As far as the kit number, your better off following the link above. You'll see what I mean, it walks you through everything.

Let me know how you make out.

Good Luck,

Joe

J

·
0 Posts
Oh, I still have the Y-Cable and the compensator mounting bracket from the the 2000 ML tha...

Oh, I still have the Y-Cable and the compensator mounting bracket from the the 2000 ML that my phone came out of, 25 bucks and they're yours. But, first make sure there's not a complete kit on eBay for sale. It blows trying to piece-meal all the parts together.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
My phone setup has a cable running from the PSE to a "booster". Is this also universal? ...

My phone setup has a cable running from the PSE to a "booster". Is this also universal? I've seen cars that don't have the booster, so I would need to buy it for them as well, correct?

-s-

J

·
0 Posts
Scorchie,

I believe your referring to either the 3 pole power connector, or the 15 po...

Scorchie,

I believe your referring to either the 3 pole power connector, or the 15 pole green compensator connection, in any case, they were both incorrpoated on the Y-Cable loom on the kit I bought. I'm not really sure if this was added or comes standard. My MY2001 CLK required a different Y-Cable set-up. The Alldata site will only give stuff on the one car you register with, so I can't even look it up for you.

Wish I could be more help. The publication sections on the mb forums discuss some older model phone set-ups, they'll probably be a better source.

Good luck,

Joe

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re:

I believe your referring to either the 3 pole power connector, or the 15 pole green compensator connection, in any case, they were both incorrpoated on the Y-Cable loom on the kit I bought. I'm not really sure if this was added or comes standard. My MY2001 CLK required a different Y-Cable set-up. The Alldata site will only give stuff on the one car you register with, so I can't even look it up for you.
Thanks for trying, Joe, I appreciate the info!

It has a 25-pin to 25-pin cable running between the PSE and the "booster" (the cable is labeled "booster"). For some reason, the "universal" PSE I just obtained also has this 25-pin connection, and I am not sure where it will hook up on a car with no existing phone electronics.

I'll look into the wiring looms.

-s-

·
Registered
ml320
7 Posts
how much for the timeport kit... will it work with a sprint timeport in a ml320...

how much for the timeport kit... will it work with a sprint timeport in a ml320

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
You have to buy the Timeport from a dealer. The Timeports that work with the MB integra...

You have to buy the Timeport from a dealer. The Timeports that work with the MB integrated system have special software. If the phone doesn't have the MB tristar logo, it won't work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts