Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on Autoblog.

"Stop using Homeland Security funds to seize imported vehicles, and change the DOT/EPA exemption to 15 years.

The Department of Homeland Security spends a shockingly disproportionate amount of its budget not on security initiatives, but on customs seizures. In particular, importers of grey-market vehicles have been targeted by monies taxpayers have intended to be used to secure our country against terrorism and terrorist activity. We call upon the Executive Branch to immediately cease this wasteful activity, and furthermore to change the DOT/EPA exemption time on grey-market vehicles from 25 years to 15 years (to match the vehicle regulations of Canada), recognizing that the 25-year rule was enacted due to support from special interests such as Mercedes Benz North America."

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/stop-using-homeland-security-funds-seize-imported-vehicles-and-change-dotepa-exemption-15-years/L50BZzwj?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

Xposted to G-wagen Forum

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
This would make the individual states put up more roadblocks then they already do when trying to register a vehicle that is OK under federal law.

Saw this on Autoblog.

"Stop using Homeland Security funds to seize imported vehicles, and change the DOT/EPA exemption to 15 years.

The Department of Homeland Security spends a shockingly disproportionate amount of its budget not on security initiatives, but on customs seizures. In particular, importers of grey-market vehicles have been targeted by monies taxpayers have intended to be used to secure our country against terrorism and terrorist activity. We call upon the Executive Branch to immediately cease this wasteful activity, and furthermore to change the DOT/EPA exemption time on grey-market vehicles from 25 years to 15 years (to match the vehicle regulations of Canada), recognizing that the 25-year rule was enacted due to support from special interests such as Mercedes Benz North America."

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/stop-using-homeland-security-funds-seize-imported-vehicles-and-change-dotepa-exemption-15-years/L50BZzwj?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=shorturl

Xposted to G-wagen Forum

·
Unimog Moderator
13,047 Posts
Damn, looks like it didn't get anywhere:

Petition to shorten gray market import exemption fails

Because we the enthusiast people didn't gather behind the effort to lower the gray market importation limit from 25 to 15 years, the We The People petition filed a couple of months ago has failed. In order to get the Executive Branch to consider such requests, each petition needs 25,000 signatures and this one didn't get it. That isn't to say the decision would have been overturned, but now it won't even get a look.

It is said that Mercedes-Benz helped get the original law passed the eighties

·
Registered
859 Posts
You do realize this a total fluff B.S. White house marketing thing. I can personally write a petition and post it up that one legged gays in the military are receiving preferential treatment. The petition goes up and if I can get 25,000 other people to agree then the WH will have a staffer decide that the premise is flawed and baseless, hence they have "reviewed" what the people want.

Great idea, but nothing more than a bunch of B.S. Fluff......

Cheers,

·
Unimog Moderator
13,047 Posts
No doubt.

So I've always wondered, what If I bought a '96, imported it into Canada, would I have to wait 10 years before I could sell it to anyone in the US? Its something to consider if your planning on importing a newer mog into Canada, because most of the market is in the US, so you may have to sit on it if you plan on selling it...

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
There are several "legal" ways of bringing a 96 Unimog into the US. Some are more "legal" than others.

It all depends on if your willing to gamble a little bit.

·
Unimog Moderator
13,047 Posts
I'm not talking about, nor interested in talking about less than legal or risky methods, nor do I think an open forum is a place to discuss. That's been covered to death. I'm solely interested in legally landed, no funny stuff methods. I have no interest in the gambling methods.

Its always been a concern of mine if I purchased a newer than 25 year old, but older than 15 year mog (Canadian Legal for import '96 to '86, soon to be '97 to '87) and then decided it wasn't the mog for me, being the Limited Canadian market in comparison to the US market, if I'd be sitting on it for 10 years or if since now its a "landed and registered in Canada" vehicle, if now it can go to the US, again, no interested in the funny stuff.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I'm not specifically talking about less than legal. And by gamble I mean worse case the truck might have to sit for a little while certain issues are cleared up.

Anything done by a governmental agency can and will include minor snags due to idiots that don't know the letter of the law.

Speaking of, I can even fix those offroad only trucks that were imported improperly.

Basically, no vehicle scares me, and I have had a 100% success rate bringing trucks into the USA.

I have never had to switch vins, dates etc.

·
Registered
859 Posts
CBP makes NO distinction between a truck coming from Canada or a truck coming from Germany. They will have to meet the same requirements.

For a legit 25 year exempt exemption it is from date of manufacture, if the truck does not have a Month/year, then it just goes off the year.

Newer Unimog implement carriers coming in under other legitimate exemptions are legal in the U.S. up until 1996-1997 model years. (Think farming, construction, legitimate uses.) This is NOT a rolling exemption and is based upon EPA requirements. There is major risk involved to a buyer/importer if they plan to import vehicles under these exemptions and then put them on the road.

We get hit with this question on a regular basis and usually after forwarding an agreement to be signed about 95% of customers decide that a 25 year exempt vehicle is the way to go.

Do you think that the super cars meet EPA/DOT requirements? Crash tested for DOT? Not a chance. They are willing to operate within a defined grey area that represents acceptable risk to them.

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
When I imported my first 404, the port threatened to cut the truck in two before they would release it to me. Needless to say, I have learned a thing or two about how to file the right paperwork as well as alternative paperwork for different situations.

Research is key when you import a vehicle no matter the year.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Yes...Importing a vehicle shouldn't scare anyone provided they do a little homework. It's just like buying a house. You contact a reputable seller or person you know. You inspect it....Then you make the decision to buy it...in person ect. Get it delivered to the terminal...Have your RIV there or do it yourself. Yes there are right and wrong ways and the only difference between me and someone who does it all the time is they do it all the time and I don't....Are there tricks...yes. Is it worth the hassle or 15-35% fee an importer charges...to each his own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts