Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
W107 W113
1,292 Posts
Late to this party

Thanks for the great resource.

I put in the Pertronix 1885 today. Followed your wiring instructions. I saw that the magnet wasn't lining up with pick-up and added the water hose gasket under the magnet to align. (Think I saw that in the 1975 Pertronix link.) Along with that I took off a 1/4" of rotor for clearance. Fired up instantly.

Tomorrow I'll add the Flamethrower coil and check timing.
Did you finish the installation?

How did you deal with the tachometer?

Are you bypassing the switch gear?

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations of a shop that would be able to do a Pertronix install on a '73 450sl in the Toronto area?

·
Registered
W107 W113
1,292 Posts
Another question/confusion I have is that according to the WSM the coil has .38 Ohm resistance, whereas petronix mentions a 1.5 or 3 Ohm coil.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230, 1973 450 SLC
69 Posts
Did you finish the installation?

How did you deal with the tachometer?

Are you bypassing the switch gear?

Sorry to be so slow answering, new forum software just piles up the inbox with individual posts. Used to get them bundled. Back to Petronix, yes finished, wired as in diagrams on this website. Had a choice of resisters for tach, forget which one I used. Seems accurate. So far starts and runs fine, money well spent.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Another question/confusion I have is that according to the WSM the coil has .38 Ohm resistance, whereas petronix mentions a 1.5 or 3 Ohm coil.

Any ideas?

I did bypass switchgear. The parts are:
PNX-40011
Ignition Coil, Flame-Thrower, Canister, Round, Oil Filled, Black, 40,000 V, Each
(Mfr. #: 40011)​
Ready to Ship
Ground​
$32.45​
1​
$32.45​
PerTronix 1885 - PerTronix Ignitor® Solid-State Ignition Systems
PNX-1885
Distributor Conversion, Ignitor®, 12 V, Kit​

from Summit.

·
Registered
W107 W113
1,292 Posts
I did bypass switchgear. The parts are:
PNX-40011
Ignition Coil, Flame-Thrower, Canister, Round, Oil Filled, Black, 40,000 V, Each
(Mfr. #: 40011)​
Ready to Ship
Ground​
$32.45​
1​
$32.45​

from Summit.
Thank you. What about the tachometer, does it work or did you have to add a resistance?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Resister was added, had a selection IIRCC of 4-6-8 ohm and matched what the timing light/rpm read. Of course I didn't make a note of the final resistance, sorry. Just follow diagrams on this forum for upgrade and should work fine. Also trimming the rotor was a big tip to make it work.

·
Registered
W107 W113
1,292 Posts
Resister was added, had a selection IIRCC of 4-6-8 ohm and matched what the timing light/rpm read. Of course I didn't make a note of the final resistance, sorry. Just follow diagrams on this forum for upgrade and should work fine. Also trimming the rotor was a big tip to make it work.
Great, thank you. Did you keep the same spark plug wires?

Do you happen to remember the wattage of the resistors for the Tachometer, does it matter or any small thin film resistor is fine?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great, thank you. Did you keep the same spark plug wires?

Do you happen to remember the wattage of the resistors for the Tachometer, does it matter or any small thin film resistor is fine?

Mr Graham has kindly added the schematics at post #19 this thread, 1/2 watt. Did not change plug wires.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts