Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'91 300CE M104 and '86 560SL
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been just dealing with an ongoing transmission leak on my '86 560SL. It only leaks after sitting for a while (never really timed it, but it takes a couple of weeks). It's a pretty significant leak too - a good size puddle on the floor. I took the car for an alignment and had the shop look it over and they said either a pan leak or a governor seal.

I'm not sure they are right on either...I just changed the fluid and installed a new pan gasket and the leak looks like it is on the passenger side of the car...isn't the governor on the driver's side? How hard is it to change the governor seal? Any other ideas? Thanks.

ryan

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ryan,

I had a similar problem on a C124 once. The car was completely dry underneath and the mechanic could not believe that the car was leaking. A 12 inch wide puddle would appear after leaving the car parked for more then 7-9 days. My mechanic agreed to live it parked in an area of his workshop where the car would not be moved for 10 days and the puddle finally appeared.

Problem: small leak around the transmission pan gasket was accumulating around the gasket (which was "slanted/inclined" upwards). After a couple of days the trans. fluid would accumulate and finally overflow around a small tab that the gasket has. Therefore, try passing your finger all around the top part of the gasket that remains exposed. If you find any fluid there, you have a leak in your gasket seal.

In my case a visual inspection under the lift would not reveal anything since the fluid that was acumulating would fall off a small tab as I was driving to the mechanic and you not see a single trace of fluid leak in the car´s underbody. Therefore, pass your hand around the gasket after the car has sat for some 4-7 days. This will give you enough time for the fluid to accuumulate.

Good luck,
SLFAN1

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,777 Posts
Yes governer is on the left side. Looks like a snap ring holds the cover on and the seal is under the cover.
Have you subscribed to the EPC or do you have a MAC? It won't run on a MAC.

·
Registered
'91 300CE M104 and '86 560SL
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I have a Mac. As far as the pan gasket goes, since I just replaced that gasket then I'm thinking I have a warped pan??? The leak has not changed since I changed the pan gasket.

So, what do I have to remove to get to the governor seal - just in case that's the problem?? Do I have to lower the exhaust, or even the tranny?

ryan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts