Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML 500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to permanently disable or remove the alarm system. I would like to be able to use the key fob to lock doors without the alarm being turned on. Alarm is going off sometimes when I get a certain distance away from the vehicle. I also have no need for the alarm system and as it sits a lot, there is no need to drain down the battery either. I know I can disable with key but don't want to do that if its possible. From my search, it doesn't seem possible but has anyone figured a work around?

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,124 Posts
Youi do need an alarm engineer .If you try this yourself you could end up with a car the wont start or move .Wires to the imobiliser and alarm go to vital parts in the cars electrical system to stop it being stolen . So do it right in the first place and have it removed by a professional ..

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,875 Posts
You probably need a new Trip. Computer, but if you do not want to replace it, simply remove the connector at the alarm horn.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ML 500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
"So do it right in the first place and have it removed by a professional .."
Thanks for the advice but...I am a trial by error kind of guy and I learn from my mistakes, and......... well.... I do a lot of learning when working on vehicles :)

"You probably need a new Trip. Computer, but if you do not want to replace it, simply remove the connector at the alarm horn."
The trip computer is having issues. It wasn't working when I bought it couple weeks ago. Reset by pulling and installing the fuse. Worked fine at first, then it must be loosing power as I would have to reset all the setting as they would default to original setting like as if it lost power. Later the display would be be blank and then would be working again needing a reset of setting again. I pulled the computer, checked the wires and connections and reinstalled it. That didn't change things.
Can I just unplug and or remove the Trip Computer from the system with no affect on the rest of the engines electrical system? I really don't need it and I wont spend money fixing it.

The ML is having the radio sound problem that seams common with the ML's. But my problem seamed to be caused by something muting the sound. At first, it was time or heat related. The sound would cut out after about 20 min of driving or just having the key on and motor off for 20 min. Later I found if I left the volume at a low setting, the sound didn't cut out at all. If I changed the station or turned up the volume, the sound would cut out shortly after. The sound wouldn't work again until the motor was shout off. Again, it was time related as how long it would work before cutting out again based on how long the motor/key was turned off. If motor was turned off less than 5 min, the sound would either not work or immediately cut out. Off for 5 min and sound would last a minute. If motor off over night it would last 20 min. When the sound is cut, I get no flashing light from the Fiber Optic port when turning off and on.

I have been testing to see what might be causing the problem by first cutting the radios # 3 wire "Telephone mute circuit" wire. Related or not, his is when the intermittent, distance walking away from the vehicle alarm going off started. This didn't resolve the sound cut out problem (I didn't reattach the wire).
Couple days ago I cut the radios # 1 wire, "Speed-sensitive loudness control (except radio model 163) or Loudspeaker signal telephone (radio model 163)". So far the sound has not cut out but when I lock the doors with key fob, the doors lock but the lights don't flash like they did before when locking.

The reason for cutting the #1 wire was to see if it was causing the sound interference I was hearing from the radio. The sound would seam to decrease in volume slightly when decelerating. Cutting the #1 wire didn't fix the sound quality problem but the sound has yet to cut out after 20 min of driving, changing channels or changing volume. I have only run the radio for little over an hour so this test is still in process. The sound quality issue is so far only listening to radio stations. When I use my FM modulator and use my Iphone stream music, there is no sound change when decelerating. This could be an antenna problem.

Sorry for the long post but it seams things are somewhat related. When the radio started to cut out, I was going to just replace the radio with aftermarket radio or send it in to get fixed. After seeing what it takes to upgrade the system, I deiced try and fix the problem myself. As I primarily use the radio to stream XM through a FM modulator. I will be happy with just leaving the #1 and #3 wires cut as long as the sound doesn't cut out again.

My next plan is to bypass the remote CD player and Telephone Fiber Optic wires with the bypass adapter. I have no use of either device.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts