Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i really like the 560 SL's Im looking at the 1989 range..

how would you compare the performance of a 560 SL vs. a C5 corvette?

handling, overall speed, from a stand still speed, ride comfort Ect..

thanks

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Corvette would eat it alive and shit out the remains on the freeway.

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
I think it would be more in the same class as an average C4 vette, even then I'd bet on the vette. A 350SL or 500SL gear shift Euro would be more of a race.

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Now get your arc out and go weld those doors to the quarters!

I do a lot of work for a German company that has a distribution center here in Houston, and I get to talk to a couple of German and Dutch guys who tell me about the hotrod scene back home with the 107s. A stock SL isn't even considered a performance car, they are all heavy and the acceleration can best be described as "stately" - if speed is what one desires in an unmodified car, the dollars are much better spent on BMW or Porsche products - but what I did find interesting is that a lot of the homeboy hot rodders over there love to race modified 107s, and that a lot can be done to them to turn them into animals. The two most popular to hotrod are the 280 and 500 SLs. There is a turbo charger kit available for the 280 over there and a super charger kit available for the 500, both which require trick rods and head work to implement. Apparently an MB motor modified in this way mated to a stock gear shift MB tranny, with the 5 speed being popular for the 280 and the 4 speed with the 500, and a little gear work on the rear end, turns these cars into something that would give a C5 a race, but they are not setting them up for drag racing, they use the 107 because apparently it is a great car for the street racing they do, where the town blocks off city streets and let's the locals race Grand Prix style.

One thing they all say must be done first, is to remove every piece of unneeded crap to get the SL down to some kind of fighting weight. One guy said half the stuff on German ebay is coming from piles of stuff stripped from hotrodded SLs.

BTW I posted a link to an English site that sold those kits on another thread on this forum, I'll try to find it and post it again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts