Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
Heh heh, butchering is fun and not really all that rational as an economic investment in time and money. I'm now way way into my project money-pit, and have no way to justify it other than the simple understanding that I love the challenge and fully plan to keep the car till the bitter end.
Yea, I appreciate when members have an extra project car they can do this with and furnish photos with info.

Something I always wanted to do was a small car with a big engine conversion but never had the resources or extra garage space in which to do it in.

My hat off to you for taking this on. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
MaxMatt

Good call on EPC, I thought I had read that the 3.2/2.8 bores were different. In europe you can get crazy diesel performance items not given to us in the US. I would much rather do a OM606 swap than the 3.6 gas swap. Build an injection pump and turbo for that bad boy.

I think this would actually perform better and lend itself to modification more than a gas motor.

The .6 swap is totally possible. The S320's had the .6 and the 97' C36 so it has the right bolt pattern, you would need a drive shaft made which is no problem and a TCM. The TCM is the problem, whipplem104 has one for sale that is 90% worked out. The problem is you have to pretty much re teach all the shift points, its a real mess.

-Mike

·
Registered
83 300sd 93 300e Alot Of S-series
180 Posts
i know nobody wants to hear this but the ole butt dyno says i picked up a few ponies by ditching the cat and adding a custom dual exhaust with no bends ... m104 responded surprisingly well especially when the VVT kicks in ..

·
Registered
93' W124 E36 AMG ; 71' Cadillac Eldorado
1,008 Posts
i know nobody wants to hear this but the ole butt dyno says i picked up a few ponies by ditching the cat and adding a custom dual exhaust with no bends ... m104 responded surprisingly well especially when the VVT kicks in ..
What about the low-end torque? How was that affected?

·
Registered
93' W124 E36 AMG ; 71' Cadillac Eldorado
1,008 Posts
MaxMatt

Good call on EPC, I thought I had read that the 3.2/2.8 bores were different. In europe you can get crazy diesel performance items not given to us in the US. I would much rather do a OM606 swap than the 3.6 gas swap. Build an injection pump and turbo for that bad boy.

I think this would actually perform better and lend itself to modification more than a gas motor.
I guess the grass is always greener on the other side ;)

I don't want a hard-smoking drag machine sounding like a crop-harvester. (No offence to diesel modders). I had a diesel for a long time and I didn't like the loudness, the vibration and the black smoke. I don't like the way turbodiesels accelerate - they get all the power in one big bunch in between 2-4K rpms and afterwards just scream.

Yes, it is quite easy to find a nice TDI and have it tuned for small $$$ to have exceptional power, but that's not what I am looking for.

I like the silence in my 300E. I like the feeling that when I come to a stop there is only one thing that reminds me engine is actually running - the tachometer.

The .6 swap is totally possible. The S320's had the .6 and the 97' C36 so it has the right bolt pattern, you would need a drive shaft made which is no problem and a TCM. The TCM is the problem, whipplem104 has one for sale that is 90% worked out. The problem is you have to pretty much re teach all the shift points, its a real mess.

-Mike
Again - auto-box is as common in the USA as a V8 engine (correct me if I'm wrong). Here the auto-boxes are currently on a rise but still the garages which offer service for such trannies don't really know what they're doing. Mostly there is one guy who has worked on such things in US or D and some mechanics who listen to him. Try talking about reprogramming the gearbox and they look at You like at a madman. :eek:

·
Registered
1993 E320 AMG, 1991 190E 2.6 Sportline 5spd
238 Posts
I believe it. The R129 SL makes 11HP more just because of the less restrictive exhaust. So with no cats and larger, mandrel bent exhaust, you probably gained more than 11 crank horsepower. Do you have any pics of the exhaust?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I believe it. The R129 SL makes 11HP more just because of the less restrictive exhaust. So with no cats and larger, mandrel bent exhaust, you probably gained more than 11 crank horsepower. Do you have any pics of the exhaust?
no pics .. because the idiots would laugh me off this board .. but i can explain that basically where the o2 sensor is after the x pipe is where my two pipes start .. they go straight back to the bumper and i have two ricer mufflers ( hey they were cheap .. 18 shipped each off of ebay ) ,., the only bends in the system is where it bends from the head and then twords the drivers side before the 02 sensor ....

to be quite honest i sold my catalytic converter for scrap .. paid for 16 ft of 2 inch tubing and the two mufflers .. and still profited about a hundred bux ..

What about the low-end torque? How was that affected?
i thought i would give up some low end .. but actually i may have gained a bit ... i swear this thing sounds tits ... at idle it sounds like a cammed up sbc ...

ill let the video speak for itself ..

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
The first time you accelerated
it looked like you almost fell out of the seat :D
lol .. i had to hold my phone cause no one would ride with me to film it ... but actually that was me spinning out ... i was pretty upset that i spun on that corner .. but the first time i did it that corner made me shut teh camera down accidentally ..

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
Revisiting an old thread.

Since my C280 I had a couple other cars now after putting a lot into my 300TE I want to move onto something else.

I have a choice between a 94 E320 and 94 E420. Both the same exterior color as my TE.

I may go with the E320 since it has 40 more HP than my current M103 3.0 and the E420 although in good condition and about 60 more HP than the M104 there is a good price difference.

It's either get the E320 and have some $$$$ left over
or more HP of the E420 and do with less extra cash :mad:

But after reading through many threads
I think one point was wrong comparing the M119 V8s against any V8 BMW put out.

After owning one 93 400E and also test driving another 93 400E and 500SL from customers
I'd say my 93 740iL was a much better performer and transmission.

Although the SL of course has more HP I think it's restricted by it's ASR gear box
My 740iL M60 4.0 liter V8 vs my 93 400E M119 4.2 liter V8 there was no comparison.
The smaller 4.0 bimmer engine not only cranked out more HP 282 vs M119 (.2 larger) 275 HP
additionally t
he 740iL had a 5 speed gear box and a 4 speed sport mode
vs the 400E sluggish 4 speed that defaults to 2nd gear at a stop unless manually selected to 1st
and
the COP or coil over plug design vs the M119 dual c(r)ap n rotor design

But the point I brought up comparing the two was that there is just more "sportier" models to choose from, (from the late 80s to mid 90s.
More manual gear box options, easier dif swaps from other models without worrying about ASR/ASD computer boxes, etc...
and more than enough affordable performance chips you can easily drop in for (at least) an added 10 HP.

And no I'm not comparing M3, M5, AMG, "Hammer", 500E (Porsche built), etc...
I'm talking about the common versions.
I had so much fun modifying my 86 325e with chip, LSD from a 86 635CSi and my 95 525i 5 speed manual with chip was so much fun to drive.
Nothing like cruising in 5th to drop the hammer down in 3rd and pull away from higher HP cars just because of their 4 speed auto gear box.

I just don't get that same feeling, even from a 275 hp 400E420.
Wish they made a 5 or 6 speed manual for those.

Unfortunately my selections are limited since most the BMWs I'm interested in
have been too "beat on" or neglected and the same for most the Mercs.
Though fortunately I have found a few W124s that are acceptable
but still have to drive out of my area to get them.

Needless to say the 3.2 M104 is a good choice
for fuel economy, performance, reliability, and HP.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
V8

If you are thinking that way now,
time passes, dollars replenish,
and the V8 is a one time opportunity versus choosing the 6.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,682 Posts
With 311 RWP, your 1/4 time should be about a second faster...
His motor is in an S320. May be hard to get that additional second moving that much weight. He recently mounted drag radials on the car, so he could get some time improvement from that.

Jim

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
V8

If you are thinking that way now,
time passes, dollars replenish,
and the V8 is a one time opportunity versus choosing the 6.
Had a Ford Ranger for a while, but wanted to get into a German car again.
Almost purchased a 94 E420, but it needed tires, had some sensor issues, and close approaching 200k... too much to deal with for the price he was asking.

Got lucky and found a 91 BMW 325iA Cabrio with only 150k miles. Unfortunately an auto box but it is so clean, new tires, working AC, and every service record since day one.
170 HP 2.5 six, I'll throw in a cone filter and a chip to milk a few more HP out of it because my elevation is 5k feet.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts