Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that can be done to upgrade the performance on the M104 engine that doesn't cost a fortune?

Chuck

·
Registered
1992 MERZ 400E
421 Posts
Braingears - 5/9/2005 7:53 PM

Is there anything that can be done to upgrade the performance on the M104 engine that doesn't cost a fortune?

Chuck
define what a fortune is perceived by you
the most bang for your buck would be nitrous :p
never read or seen it in a m104 but i'd wanna hear if anybody else has

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
You should leave Nos for hot rods only! I think nitrous could damage many functions on a newer Benz! I had Nos installed in my 5.0L conv. Mustang years back. Great bang for your buck but, I had to replace spark plugs and check the motor everytime I used the spray! Also, my timing chain snaped and I had to replace it with gear drive! What I'm trying to say is that with Nos, many mods to your car are needed prior to installing the infamous spray!!!!
$$$$$$$$$$$$

Attachments

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that I would have a better chance of finding a wrecked AMG and swipe the engine...

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
I haven't found anything. All I've seen is radical stuff, like engine swaps with turbos, etc...
I did see one site call Powerchips (IIRC) but they want $400-500
I think for a 2.8 L6 it's tuned pretty well stock, maybe a cone air filter and less restrictive exahaust might give you a few extra ponies
(doing a engine swap from an AMG would be too much work, need tranny, ECU, driveline, etc... then upgrade brakes, suspension, etc..)

otherwise just buy a C36
at least that's what I'm going to do, if I can find a decent one that "kid racer" hasn't trashed :D

·
Registered
1994 E320 sedan
223 Posts
This is why I am getting less interested in Mercedes benz. Not enough option to upgrade the car, even somethings are avaialable, freaking expensive. I have moded all of my previews cars, but not my benz, which is sad.
Since it keeps breaking down, I'm busy with repairing it, not modding it.
If I do mod on my car, it would be only cosmetical stuff...not for performance.

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
There's cams, header, chip.
Where, what brand name, model #, etc, etc...?? :nicethread:

You would think in this day and age of tuner cars and ready available performance parts for other vehicles you'd think Merc would get into the game.

For every one of my BMWs I owed, I had no problem finding quality performance chips at a low cost almost anywhere

I like my C280 but it would be great to have a 5 speed manual for better acceleration

...be funny to see a Roush Mercedes model :eek:

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
The MB engines are already souped up. You have an engine that is smaller than 200 cubic inches making about 200 Horsepower. It takes lots of bolt on goodies to make an American V8 reach the 1 Horsepower per cubic inch level and at that point, their durability starts going out the window.

Your engine is making 1 Horsepower per cubic inch with smoothness and unbelievable long term durability. The MB engineers did a great job, congratulate them and enjoy the fruit of their labor.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,294 Posts
The MB engines are already souped up. You have an engine that is smaller than 200 cubic inches making about 200 Horsepower. It takes lots of bolt on goodies to make an American V8 reach the 1 Horsepower per cubic inch level and at that point, their durability starts going out the window.

Your engine is making 1 Horsepower per cubic inch with smoothness and unbelievable long term durability. The MB engineers did a great job, congratulate them and enjoy the fruit of their labor.
Agreed, the m104 is a marvel in engineering...even today. It lends itself to supercharging (my choice) and turbocharging. If the OP is looking to find bolt-ons from JEGS et all, then he bought the wrong car. Disappointed (?), sell the car to someone who will appreciated it and buy a tuner car. If you want something faster from MB, then pay the money and go to a different model already intact.

Kevin

·
Registered
R129 SL 500 97, W124 E320 Coupé 96, W124 300E twin turbo 90, W126 300 SE 91, Ford Capri 2.8i 84
249 Posts
"The MB engineers did a great job, congratulate them and enjoy the fruit of their labor."

My sentiments exactly, except that I cannot deny what the twin Garrett T2 turbos on my 300E M103 did to that car (fitted from new by a main dealer with MB approval): performance to knock your socks off and clearly superior to the SL500 I have recently acquired (0.5 sec quicker to 60). That conversion has also been done to the M104 and I believe there are still kits available, although it's not a DIY bolt-on job.

That said, I find the performance of my E320 Coupé perfectly adequate and very refined.

·
Premium Member
10,294 Posts
This is why I am getting less interested in Mercedes benz. Not enough option to upgrade the car, even somethings are avaialable, freaking expensive. I have moded all of my previews cars, but not my benz, which is sad.
Since it keeps breaking down, I'm busy with repairing it, not modding it.
If I do mod on my car, it would be only cosmetical stuff...not for performance.
The Germans are better at modding their cars than you will ever be. So....it would make more sense to buy one of their performance oriented models, rather than grouse around about modifying a run-of-the-mill, E series six cylinder car. Or, pay the money for a well maintained 500.

Kevin
Approve REF.71

·
Premium Member
10,294 Posts
"The MB engineers did a great job, congratulate them and enjoy the fruit of their labor."

My sentiments exactly, except that I cannot deny what the twin Garrett T2 turbos on my 300E M103 did to that car (fitted from new by a main dealer with MB approval): performance to knock your socks off and clearly superior to the SL500 I have recently acquired (0.5 sec quicker to 60). That conversion has also been done to the M104 and I believe there are still kits available, although it's not a DIY bolt-on job.

That said, I find the performance of my E320 Coupé perfectly adequate and very refined.
There are quite a few members with the 'twins' on m103's....it appears the way to go on that engine for performance. While the m103 is nearly impossible to supercharge, the m104 lends itself to that well, I'm told. When you consider what the cost would be to transplant a V-8 MB (with all the things that go with it) into these cars.....it makes more $$ sense to turbo the m103 or supercharge the m104. As far as the OP's concept of $100 bolt-ons here and there...it ain't gonna happen.

Kevin
Approve REF.71

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts

·
Registered
1993 E320 AMG, 1991 190E 2.6 Sportline 5spd
238 Posts
Where, what brand name, model #, etc, etc...?? :nicethread:

You would think in this day and age of tuner cars and ready available performance parts for other vehicles you'd think Merc would get into the game.

For every one of my BMWs I owed, I had no problem finding quality performance chips at a low cost almost anywhere

I like my C280 but it would be great to have a 5 speed manual for better acceleration

...be funny to see a Roush Mercedes model :eek:
Speed Tuning - chips your ECU

Bekkers.com powered by Driiv Autosport & Performance - has an M104 header

RENNTECH // MERCEDES // MCLAREN - Renntech cams increase power/torque to 234HP/251TRQ

You see, the thing is BMW is a sporty brand, they make sporty cars which more people buy with intentions to modify, hence there's a lot of aftermarket for them. MB on the other hand has no sport pretensions, unfortunately. Most of their cars don't even come with a manual transmission. So a very small aftermarket exists for MB, and its expensive. A larger aftermarket used to exist for the W124, but no longer. Eibach used to make sway bars, mosselman and turbotechnics used to make turbo kits etc. There's still an aftermarket in europe for performance parts, but you have to do a lot of searching to find those website.

·
Premium Member
10,294 Posts
Speed Tuning - chips your ECU

Bekkers.com powered by Driiv Autosport & Performance - has an M104 header

RENNTECH // MERCEDES // MCLAREN - Renntech cams increase power/torque to 234HP/251TRQ

You see, the thing is BMW is a sporty brand, they make sporty cars which more people buy with intentions to modify, hence there's a lot of aftermarket for them. MB on the other hand has no sport pretensions, unfortunately. Most of their cars don't even come with a manual transmission. So a very small aftermarket exists for MB, and its expensive. A larger aftermarket used to exist for the W124, but no longer. Eibach used to make sway bars, mosselman and turbotechnics used to make turbo kits etc. There's still an aftermarket in europe for performance parts, but you have to do a lot of searching to find those website.
MB has always had sporty two seaters going back to the 300SL. And they've had sporty sedans like the 500 and the AMG prepared cars. What they don't have traditionally, is a clientele (in the States) who buys these cars new and then works on (and tunes) the cars themselves. Only recently when the older cars have become affordable (like the 124 series), has the need for tuning by the young lions become so prevalent. I.e., given today's prices of new cars, it's become attractive for young males to buy older MB's for $2,000-5,500 and then have the discretionary income to put another grand into speed accessories. Unfortunately, MB is not sympathetic to the DIYers and retro tuning of their older cars. Basically, the factory is working against you, would suggest you find a 500, AMG Hammer etc or just buy one of their sport models new. As beautiful as my old wagon is, when I drive 60 miles to the dealer, they look at my car like it's some white trash cousin to their new stuff. I know better, but still.....

And yes, you are correct that there used to be certain accessories available to the 124's that mirrored what AMG was doing to the cars.....and even more with twin turbos. Seems to me that's come back a little bit...but it will always be supply & demand.

Kevin
Approve REF.71

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
". As beautiful as my old wagon is, when I drive 60 miles to the dealer, they look at my car like it's some white trash cousin to their new stuff. I know better, but still..... "

that made me laugh :D

thanks for the info and insight

those performance site references don't have specific model types listed and they want you to email them for prices which usually translated to $$$$
which emphasizes the before mentioned :eek:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Thanks for pointing this out.

I knew the 3.5L in the Intrepid my wife had was 214 cid and 214 HP, which was pretty amazing for it's time/price point (1995), but I'd forgotten the 3.2 is all of 195 cid.

Plus, even with one cylinder on strike...coil should be here, Thursday...it's smoother than many a 4-cylinder of similar age.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts