Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 ML 350 Bluetec, curious to know if anyone sells a performance engine software or adapter for it, if so, please help me out and point me to the right direction????

Thanks in advance for all the help!

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Diesels are not AMG's and until we "get there" diesels are still for mainstream meaning your not going to be enticed by all the performance crowds out there.
Dilemma here is if you want to keep reliability and waranty your eliminating all but the elite tuner Co's who are willing to spend a lot upfront in studying and remapping (dyno time and complex computer programming research) to make gains while maintaining there company name for reliability.
I have to agree with the above post, N.A. doesn't embrace diesel like Europe. Because it's just too costly given all the costs envolved with maintenance and huge costs and performance gains compared to tuned gas engine here in the U.S. where diesel is often more expensive than premium gas and diesel fuel here in the States isn't able to support Euro diesel engines which make more power and much cleaner than can here. Someday soon hopefully

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hello Shaun,

I didn't think you drifted over into the ML side of the forums! But as usual, the posters can expect valued and relevant info from your side of the pond. :thumbsup:

Hary, I'd have to agree that diesels aren't AMG's, however, between the Brabus, Klemann's and others, an ML diesel owner can certainly spice up his ride in any number of ways, including performance. Regarding reliability and warranty, as I understand in my location, if the accessories are installed by a recognized tuner factory rep, the MB warranty in unaffected. But this should be always be cleared with your local MB dealer.

As to fuel costs, maybe Shaun could provide the costs of diesel and petrol from his end. Locally here in the Seattle area, per gallon, we're at $3.85/92 oct. and $4.10/#2 diesel.

As to maintenance costs, my experience from my fathers older MB diesel, is that they were far less than their petrol counterparts.

Chicago, let us know when you get your ML chipped.

Cheers !!

Mike K.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Either Way Its A PITA

I live in WA north of Seattle and just bought premium today for $3.91.
Diesel was $4.19.
Warranty issues like injector pumps, sensors, any error codes involving anything with an engine system that might have even remotely been compromised by a performance tune will be entered into your service file and likely denied.
Bigger problem is you must have the shop who put in tune go back in and restore your oem setup for a service appt. if you have engine/ drivetrain issues if you don't want to void the warranty. Also during a service; if they plug into your ECU and do any factory settings at the Benz service or any upgrades it generally wipes out all the performance tuning you paid for. Not to worry most tuners will reflash the ECU and some include a couple reflashs in the package they sell you. If not they will charge you extra for repeat reflashs. Ask the shop your dealing with if they charge for reflashes.
I'd say it's a must to call your Benz dealer, and whoever your interested in doing a tune before you get a tune.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I don't do diesel but from things I've read it seems tuning of them gives more power gains than with petrol.
There are lots of plug and play tuning boxes for them which can be removed before a service, I would spend hours trawling the web reading from people who have actually used these products in order to come to my own conclusion.
Mike, as for fuel prices...At the moment I'm paying £1.35 a litre for 99 RON.
95 RON is £1.30 but it's constantly changing and varies in different areas.
As for diesel that is an other government rip-off, it used to be cheaper than petrol ( easier and cheaper to produce) but then the powers that be realised that vehicles do more to the gallon so of course the tax went up and now it's more expensive than petrol.
I'll have a look by how much tomorrow.

·
Registered
117 Posts
correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that these plug and play type tuners just boost the turbo and increase the fuel flow. So you are just working your engine harder than recommended and shortening its life. These ML's are unreliable enough as it is. I would be afraid to work the engine any harder. I would be more interested in removing the DPF and closing the EGR. This would improve mileage and performance. There are companies here and abroad that will do it but for me its still cost prohibited.

Scott MacMoyle

·
Registered
757 Posts
correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that these plug and play type tuners just boost the turbo and increase the fuel flow. So you are just working your engine harder than recommended and shortening its life. These ML's are unreliable enough as it is. I would be afraid to work the engine any harder. I would be more interested in removing the DPF and closing the EGR. This would improve mileage and performance. There are companies here and abroad that will do it but for me its still cost prohibited.

Scott MacMoyle
I believe you are mostly correct, although some of the more sophisticated systems do a little more than just play with boost.

"These ML's are unreliable enough as it is." I haven't heard any such thing about Mercedes diesels. Do you have any support for this claim?

One thing nobody has mentioned that may or may not be relevant: In some turbocharged BMWs, if you make any mods at all a hidden code is triggered so that even if you restore the vehicle to stock prior to taking it in for service or repair, the dealer can tell that it was modded. Many 35i engine owners have found this out to their cost. I have no idea whether Mercedes does the same with its turbocharged engines, or even if BMW does it with its diesels, but since the two companies seem to move almost in lockstep with each other, I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be the case. The problem is that if an engine fault occurs that was nothing to do with the modifications, warranty could still be declined on the grounds that the engine had been changed by someone other than the manufacturer.

Playing with expensive German engines while they are still under warranty is a dangerous game!

·
Registered
3 Posts
09 ML320 Bluetec Diesel, turbo lag - options to improve

Hello out there,
I have 09 ML320 bluetec diesel. I have a horrible flat spot, delay in acceleration until turbo spins up. Dealer says it is the nature of turbo diesel beast. Driving in the mountains at elevations of 5500ft to 8000ft the ML even more of a lag when trying to pass slower traffic

I have been reading the comments about the Spyder box (UK), the unit seems very beneficial never heard of it, has anyone compared other boxes from Kleeman kbox, Carlssen box before purchasing the Spyder? Can you provide findings?

Has anyone in the USA used SpeedTunningUSA, they offer a box solution but recommend to reprogramming the ECU? They taught that reprogramming the ECU is more effective & last over time. They say with the box alternative the ECU over time normalizes the setting issued by any box alternatives and become suboptimal. The price for reprogramming is $400usd, $200usd if it need to be reprogrammed for any reason.. One has to remove ECU ship to SpeedTuning USA and re-install it via an independent shop and is not traceable by dealers.

Aside from the convenience of removal of box for dealer visits, and risk of Flash updates to ECU by the dealer during servicing that can wipe out the programming.
Would appreciate anyone's comments as to the pros and cons of reprogramming the ECU vs. Box alternatives especially Sypder. Or any benefit the Spyder alternative have over the Kleeman or Carlssen boxes.

Thank you in advance for your response. I really need a solution. NC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts