Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the Tire Rack 800 number seeking assistance about the rims available for my 2004 E55. The sales rep didn't really seem to know much about the product.

Of the rims listed on the website, which ones would be best suited for performance driving (ie. autocross and track)?

P.S. TireRack carries a large number of tire manufacturers. Why not Toyo?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Of the 13 wheels shown of the 2004 E55, the BBS RE is the lightest. Finding lightweight wheels for a Mercedes, any Mercedes, is not easy.

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would the Galileo III 18" or 19" be better for track and autocross? I believe that the best wheels for track may differ from the best for autocross, but I'm just looking for something to work well for both.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
In general, you want the smallest diameter wheel that will fit over the brakes. You want to keep the rotating mass as close to the center of the hub as possible. This is true for both autocross and track.

Your choices of R compound tires will be very limited in the 19" sizes.

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lynn - 4/18/2005 4:10 PM

In general, you want the smallest diameter wheel that will fit over the brakes. You want to keep the rotating mass as close to the center of the hub as possible. This is true for both autocross and track.

Your choices of R compound tires will be very limited in the 19" sizes.
Thanks for the info. I thought I had heard similar advice before, but I can't help but second guess myself when I notice newer cars coming out with larger rims (not just the bling style but performance cars like the SL AMG. Doesn't the SL AMG have 19" rims).

Anyway, it sounds like 18" is the way to go for performance rims on the '04 E55. 2 more questions: 1) Are the Galileo III rims better than the AMG OEM rims?
2) Is it best to maintain the staggered sizes (8 up front, 9 in the back)? My guess is that the wider wheels/tires in the back is the best configuration, but with the drawback of not being able to rotate my tires from front to back.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
1. I don't know. MB OEM wheels are very good. They are typically made by Ronal, ATS and other major wheel makers.

2. There is no set answer to the issue of different width tires and wheels on the front and back. It depends alot on how the car is set up. If the E class can be adusted to run 2 to 3 degrees negative camber, you might stick with the wider rears. My C is camber limited and I have a small budget, so I use the same size front and rear so I can rotate the tires often. Lack of camber causes the tires to wear badly on the outside shoulders when autocrossing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts