email from John350;

I was just notified the bars have made their way across the US and are
awaiting pickup. I will try to pick them up tomorrow, but it might have
to wait until Thursday. Meanwhile, I haven't been invoiced yet, so I
don't have a final price. I will keep you apprised as more details
become available.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250 "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car, 350SDL (Sold)
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
OK, not quite true. First, the sales guy I was dealing with "is no longer with Hellwig products". Second, the shipment is in New York State and "delayed due to acts of God, weather, or due to the intervention of a governmental authority, including when freight movement is delayed due to the closure of a road or highway on the scheduled route by federal, state or local authorities."

Still waiting to hear from Hellwig with the invoice.

·
Registered
'90 560SEL Blauschwarz/Black
81 Posts
Well, shoot! At least they acknowledge that there IS a shipment so we will get them. A soon as they get out of Covid Hell, NY...

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
It's at the Depot in New Hampshire. I'll try to arrange pickup tomorrow.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
The eagle has landed... End links may be here tomorrow. I'll try to start shipping Monday.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
346 Posts
Guess what showed up today?

Lol not much assembly! On it goes this weekend hopefully.

Thanks a million John!

Pete

·
Registered
1987 300 SDL
8 Posts
John et al,

What are the chances of getting one of these bars at this time for my 87 300 SDL?

I realize the chances are probably zilch so if there are any other inexpensive alternatives I'd certainly like to know.

I've spent so much time on the front end and doing work on engine tuning this major rear end shortcoming never occurred to me until recently. I was always under the assumption that earlier bars from the Euro SEL's or Gen 2 560 SEL's would work but after spending hours of time in local boneyards and online searches, my hopes have evaporated.

I'm unable to tolerate another day with a rear end attached to rubber bands so any recommendations would be welcome.

·
Registered
'90 560SEL Blauschwarz/Black
81 Posts
Got my order today... Thanks John! Can't wait to get this on my car and take it for a drive... Working on the SLS right now...

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
What are the chances of getting one of these bars at this time for my 87 300 SDL?
If you're sure this is the right one, the chances are about 100%. I have 3 on hand. Send me a private message with your email address.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
346 Posts
FINALLY done! (and with no new back pain yay).

Everything I'm about to say below can be summed up in this statement:

This is an AWESOME upgrade, very easy to do, the best upgrade $200 I've spent, and now the car feels like (IMO) it should've all along.

But I like talking WAY more than that lol :blahblahblah: The back end is now very well planted.

Keep in mind I just replaced the rear springs and installed Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners. When I posted what a great difference it made, MBL87560SEC said, wait till you put in the fatter rear sway bar. He was NOT kidding - the sway bar made a bigger difference than the new suspension!

Thanks again John!

A couple comments. 1st, based on John's experience I used the second hole and it works perfectly for me. If I was 10 years younger I'd probably try all 3 just to see.... but the second is great for me.

2nd, although I'm sure the plastic ones are fine, the Lemforder metal end links still make me feel better. And they look great.

3rd, a comment on the new bushings. I mentioned I might use Energys because they're greaseable.

The new ones that come with the sway bar are certainly OK, poly and larger than stock. But I had already bought the Energys so I used them.

I'm a glutton for punishment I think. They are way way bigger, so big you have to file down the bolt slots in the new bushing brackets, until the slots actually hit the body of the bracket. The bushing barely fits between the bolt holes on the body.

Even then the bolt corners will hit the bracket body with every turn of the bolt, and you can't use the washers. You also have to trim a little of the poly bushing to fit against a small lip on the car.

Not the end of the world and I'll probably never have to change them again. If a bracket pulls out past a bolt head (because no washers) I'll replace the Energys with the new ones supplied with the bar.

If I did this bar again I'd probably skip this baloney and use the supplied bushings. One little trick on non greaseable poly bushings, wrap the part of the bar that contacts the bushings with teflon plumbers tape before applying the grease. I did this on my old S-10 years ago and, no squeaks. Not that all bushings squeak, just a precaution.

So, everyone else who hasn't done the sway bar upgrade, drop what you're doing and install one right away ;) I am LOVING it.

Pete

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
346 Posts
Holy Moly I got a chance to drive through my favorite local twisty, a progressively tighter 3 turn fairly steeply going down into a valley through the woods, a nicely paved narrow 2 lane with deep ditches - a great little test run :)

It did VERY well, so well I know I was pushing the limit (a little tire noise). With a car the length of the Titanic. RWD so you don't see the tree that kills you lol.

No lean, ganster or otherwise! Still a nice ride too.

Pete

·
Registered
W126 1990 500SE W126 1991 300SE
316 Posts
Mine arrived today, but the car is still in the paint shop, so I won't be fitting it for a while. For anyone who is in the UK, with shipping/customs/dollar conversion, it cost £331.63. This number is for reference, but will obviously vary with exchange rates and future price changes. Oh, and that was with the metal sway bar links too. Thank you to John for organising this!!

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 560SEC
23 Posts
I realize im late to the party, but i have to ask anyway...........any swaybars left??🤞

141 - 160 of 173 Posts