Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250 "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car, 350SDL (Sold)
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
OK, send the private message...

·
Registered
'90 560SEL Blauschwarz/Black
81 Posts
Any word on the status of the order? I would imagine that a machine shop would not be an essential service.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
We are on hold. All members who have deposits in have been notified. Waiting for a further update from Hellwig.

·
Registered
W126 1990 500SE W126 1991 300SE
316 Posts
Post #126!!:cool:

As things are on hold here, I've liaised with John, and managed to get in on the action! Before doing that I sat and thread through all the associated threads, as I really knew nothing about this! So, while it's fresh in the memory, I've written up a FAQ that can hopefully be used if any future orders are made. Anyone putting together a thread like this in the future, can paste this FAQ into the original post, and it will help to answer people's questions, and put a stop to any confusion. Basically it's made up of all the questions I had at the start, and also ones that tended to come up on the boards quite often.

Please take a look and edit/make improvements as necessary. Next time an order is being made, people should be able to make their minds up more quickly when they have all the information at their fingertips.

___

----Text in italics needs to be altered or removed!

What's a sway bar?
A sway bar or 'anti-roll bar' is a static bar that is bolted to either side of the suspension mounts along one axle. When cornering, the outside wheel on an axle is taking all the load, and the inside wheel wants to lift off the road. Having this additional bar running between a pair of wheels reduces this 'body roll', and helps to keep both sides of the car in contact with the road surface. Cars generally have a sway bar on the front axle, and another on the rear axle.

What's a performance sway bar?
In this case, we're talking about a bar that is thicker and stiffer, and will therefore have a greater effect on keeping that inner wheel on the tarmac.

Why change from the stock one?
The W126 stock rear sway bar is 14mm thick, and the general consensus is that the car drives better with the thicker 19mm custom-made bar from Hellwig. Users have reported better traction and road handling, especially when cornering.

What about Understeer/Oversteer?
W126s are known to understeer, so fitting this bar will reduce this. It will not reduce it enough to the point of the car oversteering.

Why 19mm? Why not 20mm? 30mm?
There needs to be a balance between the front and rear sway bars - the front sway bar on the W126 is 24mm thick. When this idea was originally put forward, members Tjyak50, ElRojo and others discussed this amongst themselves, and also directly with the manufacturer, Hellwig, and it was agreed that 19mm was the best/safest option. 19mm was deemed to be big enough to yield a significant improvement over the original, but without getting into oversteer territory.

Will it fit on my car?
There are two stock variants of rear sway bar fitted to the W126:

• Type A - If you have #5 in the photo (Part 126 326 48 65) on your car, then the replacement will fit
  • Type B - If you have #8 in the photo, the replacement will not fit. This is also known as 'Anti-Squat' Suspension
*Note the difference at the two fitting points - #5 has one hole, going to a plastic 'Z' shaped link (#32). #8 connects with two bolts, straight into #11.

In addition to this, some cars have SLS (Self-Levelling Suspension). As long as you have type A shown above, then the bar will fit on your car, whether you have SLS or not. The only difference is, if you have SLS, then a small notch will need to be ground out of the bar in order to make it fit.

Which type of bar do I have on my car?
The only sure-fire way to verify this is to check your car. You won't need to put the car on a ramp, or jack it up. Simply lie down near the rear wheel, and take a look from the rear of the car, towards the front. Just on the inside of the rear wheel, you will be able to see which type of connection you have. Asking another member what they have on their car, or what fitting you 'should' have on yours is unreliable. Note: Type A and Type B are not confined to one particular generation of W126.

I have Type B on my car, but I still want a custom sway bar!!

Hellwig will likely manufacture one if enough interest can be generated. The best advice is probably to start a new thread dedicated to generating interest on having one of those made. Pasting this information into the new thread will hopefully help to explain things. Plenty of us have Type B, so there is no reason we couldn't get 20+ people interested.

I have Type A on my car, and I'm interested, but how much work is involved in fitting the custom bar?
This is pretty straightforward, and doesn't involve having to remove any other parts from the car, it is simply a case of unbolting the old one, and bolting the new one into place. The complete fitting instructions are attached to this post.

What about the sway bar links (#32 from the image above), will they fit back on with the new bar?
The stock links are made of plastic, and fitting new metal ones is recommended. ----Need some info here about where to get the new fittings.

What colour is the bar?
Black. But you can spray it any colour you like before fitting it!

Where can I get more information?
Take a look through these links to see the process in more detail:
Thanks to GreenT for compiling this list
----I've added the current thread to the list

How do I pay?
----This can be filled in by whoever is putting the order together

Attachments

·
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
5,547 Posts
Hey Martin,

That's a very nice & detailed writeup. Thank you.

Well done.

Both my cars have 'Anti-Squat' rear suspension with the aluminum semi-trailing arms, one with SLS, the other without.
One has the stock rear bar, the other has the upgraded 19mm bar. It is night & day between the two as far as handling & road feel goes.
I wager adding a 19mm rear bar could be the most cost-effective modification one could to their W126 in any variant.

Stay safe all, now & going forwards....

M

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
786 Posts
unable to buy a bar in the uk would do the conversion straight away if i could get the bar anyone selling for anti squat

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
346 Posts
Oh and the metal sway bar links I bought are 115 320 15 89 Lemfoerder - but I haven't installed tehm yet so am not 1005 sure of fitment.

Pete

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
That is the correct part number for the metal link. It fits R107, among other things. about $12 US each right now.

Oldcars: the last batch of bushings had some sort of composite material, probably urethane, definitely not rubber. I'm currently (well, was) looking into a different (urethane) bushing to make the installation a little bit more straight forward.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
346 Posts
Awesome thanks John.

I've changed out stock sway bar bushings for Energy greaseable poly for years, a noticable easy upgrade on everything. I may use theirs just because they're greaseable.

Pete

·
Registered
161 Posts
Will we eventually get are rear sway bars I would like to know I am in no rush sometimes this is how these things happen to turn out you have to wait

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,172 Posts
This is one of few successful group buy ventures on the forum. Its worked before, impressive to be honest.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
The factory is shut down. I have refrained from bugging them knowing they, like I, have more important things to deal with right now.

Anyone who wants their deposit refunded, I'm happy to do that, otherwise, we just have to ride it out.

·
Registered
'90 560SEL Blauschwarz/Black
81 Posts
The factory is shut down. I have refrained from bugging them knowing they, like I, have more important things to deal with right now.

Anyone who wants their deposit refunded, I'm happy to do that, otherwise, we just have to ride it out.
I'm good... They'll open back up sometime and you'll be right there with cash money...

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Well, knock my socks off.... I just got a call from the local trucking depot. The bars are here. I didn't even get an invoice yet, much less a shipping notice!

Film at 11...

121 - 140 of 173 Posts