Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Performance rear sway bar

25K views 204 replies 42 participants last post by  bflobob8 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been approached by a member looking for more performance rear sway bars. Historically, there has been enough interest for an order every year around this time, so I figured I'd post this to gauge interest. I need at least 8 more confirmed buyers to place an order. Last batch was $230 delivered within the continental US, or $190 plus actual shipping costs outside the US.

These bars fit Gen II W126 cars with or without SLS. they do not fit cars with "anti-squat" rear suspensions. This bar replaces OEM part 1263264865.

There are several other threads discussing the development and results you can expect. Right now I cannot seem to get any search results, but I'll post links to those threads at some later point.

#3 ·
Thanks! It appears you found them all, and listed them in chronological order, to boot.

I'll say this: No one has complained the bar was not worth installing. On the contrary, there have been several rave reviews. Also, it's pretty much a non-profit venture for me. I only add enough to my costs to cover my expenses picking them up, packing them up, and shipping them back out.

#5 · (Edited)
Thank you for offering to do this again, John. This requires effort and we all know this not a matter of profit for you, so we appreciate you offering to do it again.:thumbsup:

Do you think it might be possible that they could another 1.5" in the middle so the metal links would stay straight? If they could do that I would be in.

#6 ·
I have been approached by a member looking for more performance rear sway bars. Historically, there has been enough interest for an order every year around this time, so I figured I'd post this to gauge interest. I need at least 8 more confirmed buyers to place an order. Last batch was $230 delivered within the continental US, or $190 plus actual shipping costs outside the US.

These bars fit Gen II W126 cars with or without SLS. they do not fit cars with "anti-squat" rear suspensions. This bar replaces OEM part 1263264865.
Hey John,

Thank you for doing this once again.

As Richter says, this rear bar really is a valuable addition to any 126.. without Anti~Squat that is....

As both of my SECs have Anti~Squat, I was unable to source a 19mm rear bar from you...
[Both are Gen2, one with SLS & one Euro without Self Leveling.]

I have my original 14mm Anti-Squat rear bar off my Euro SEC just sitting here now. OEM A 126 326 51 65

If you have an interest, I could deliver it to you on loan to be used as a template for a future project...?

Additionally, its got the mount bushings A 126 326 37 31. Maybe there is a speciality rubber manufacturer here in New England that could cast some up, modified to fit a 19mm spec. bar.

Judging from my own recent suspension fervor, I wager there are other enthusiasts who would jump at the opportunity to obtain one here..

A thought..

MBL

Attachments

#7 ·
John, I ordered one a while ago and indeed it was a valuable upgrade. The process was perfect as well thanks to you. The only items I would suggest is to lengenthen as liviu165 suggested and to have the notch for the hydraulic arm made into the arm. The rest is easy. Good luck and thanks for doing this again.

#10 ·
Can anyone tell me for sure if the Gen I bar and the anti-squat bar are the same everywhere? (Of course, then we get into the particulars that would prevent a custom bar from working in one or the other, necessitating a guinea pig of both colors.)

#9 ·
Another happy customer here! :D

Johns rear sway bar was the final cherry on top for the handing and suspension upgrades on my 560sel. The car feels completely different for that matter, it feels 20 yrs younger!, the sway bar tied with Bilstein B8's in the front, properly adjusted SLS in the rear, and H&R's all around onramp and offramp handing is unlike anything ive experienced on the w126 chassis. In town turning is nice and "snug" imo, and the classic floaty boaty feeling in the rear is 85% eliminated without inducing excessive rocking when traveling over obstacles at an angle ( speedbumps, expansion joints, etc)

Another plus for folks is this bar actually helps the SLS system be more consistent. Consider this. If anyone has looked at the factory swaybar for SLS cars you will see that its honestly a joke, and has barely any anti-sway capability, it is extremely thin. Take the rod links off the end and you can easily twist both ends by hand, it doesn't have much torsional force ability. Now consider this as well!, as age goes by the "factory" sway bar will become stiff in the rubber pivot bushings (road crud, rust buildup, sand), and as I saw in my case, would barely pivot and cause the SLS to become "confused" when significant load changes occurred. The upgraded sway bar will pivot regardless of bushing buildup.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#11 ·
Johns rear sway bar was the final cherry on top for the handing and suspension upgrades on my 560sel.
Thanks, but truth be told, I stand on the shoulders of giants. Members tjyak50 and ElRojo are responsible for developing the bar. I just got involved because I missed the initial offering. I had the infrastructure in place to order, inventory and ship things, so it wasn't much work for me.

Now I'm retired and stuck keeping a Windows XP system running so I can print shipping labels and invoices... ;)

#13 ·
I'm gonna chime in here too for anyone thinking about (or not) this upgrade. If you want your car to seriously not "roll" in turns and around the tighter turns/curves then you need to get one of these bars if there is another run of them made. I bought and installed mine (don't know which "run" it was) a couple of years ago and noticed right off the bat that she felt like she was "chained" to the road in turns. Installation took me a day (because I take my time and don't have to get in any hurry with fixes) and is relatively easy, "hardest" part was fishing it through and into position

#26 ·
I definitely recommend picking one of these up. Absolutely transforms the car. Best upgrade I've ever done.

Reactions: ianrandom
#32 ·
I see the part number and design is exactly the same as Gen 1 cars without anti squat. My 300SD Gen 1 has the end links, so this seems like it would fit.

So, count me in if you ever get another production run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.