Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SE
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this idea from the movie Ronin. I was wondering if anyone has done a nitrous kit in their MB. Nothing outragous but something to give it a bit more kick when needed. From what I have been told the engines, as long as you keep oil in them and basic tune ups, will last almost forever.

Or am I in LA LA land and should just give up the idea of extra horsepower?

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
As far as bang for the buck, Nitrous is the best way to go. I'm sure there are plenty of MB out there with the mod. As with anything else there are do's and don'ts.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm convinced that supercharging is the way to go in increasing 126 performance. Look up Supercharged Sec's threads. Nitrous is very involved in our cars, to do it right. Bergweks was developing a system specifically for the 126, unfortunately they are closing up shop.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Why? i have nitrous in my car...not really much more complicated than putting it in any other car if you really think about it. of course i love my engine too much to use the nitrous, but i would feel the same even if i had a corvette. not to mention killing the transmission.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
cyberdrakon - 4/28/2005 5:38 AM

Why? i have nitrous in my car...not really much more complicated than putting it in any other car if you really think about it. of course i love my engine too much to use the nitrous, but i would feel the same even if i had a corvette. not to mention killing the transmission.
Don't know why. Carl at Bergwerks told me that doing it right was complicated. They have been working on perfecting it for a year.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From my understanding the trans and engine are almost, optimum word, bullet proof. With that being the case, using nitrous only when needed I figure would be ok. Just for those times when you have a hard wired kick down switch and need to left lane pass quickly.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Setting up in an ideal manner for the 126 is a chore. You want injectors at each cylinder, not just one at the throat of the intake (as I have seen some set ups). Bergwerks goes to great length to install a few different sets of fail safe checks. I know their kit for the E500's is set up to be as Safe as possible. Nitrous is great, but when things go wrong they go wrong FAST, leading to catastrophic engine failure faster then you can imagine.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
If it's a four door car, it probably wouldn't be wise to put a supercharger in. Think about it, it's a family car. And from what I've heard,superchargers rape your engine and decreases their life...But with a two door it shouldn't be that bad. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I heard.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Whaaaa?? 4 door or 2 door is really inconsequential. Forced induction if done properly is Fine for these engines. They are so hideously over built.. Forged lower ends, 6 bolt mains.. Only weak point is the FI system.

MB, GM etc has no issue putting SC'ers on their cars, complete w/ factory warrantee’s etc.

Jonathan

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
the transmission is great...as long as you stay under 300 hp. if you are near that, violent spurts (nitrous for example) will kill the clutch bands (mine shattered).

I don't understand the difference between 4 door vs 2 door either.

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
the transmission is great...as long as you stay under 300 hp. if you are near that, violent spurts (nitrous for example) will kill the clutch bands (mine shattered).
The trannys are know to support up to 600 to 700 hp. The Porsche 928 guys are pusing these much harder than our cars will ever hope to push and they haven't had any issues at extreme hp levels.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
No issues with the tranny at all - will easily take the power. It's usually the propshaft coupling that goes, but that's easily replaced.

And as for 4dr - the 2nd fastest TESTED current MB production car is the w211 E55 AMG. It's supercharged....and it's 4dr....with heated rear seats !

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
No issues with the tranny at all - will easily take the power. It's usually the propshaft coupling that goes, but that's easily replaced.

And as for 4dr - the 2nd fastest TESTED current MB production car is the w211 E55 AMG. It's supercharged....and it's 4dr....with heated rear seats !

(Note : the SL65, S65 and CL65 are NOT MB 'production' cars - they are all specifically made to order, each one having a plaque on the air housing with the signature of the engineer who built the engine !)

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Well, i don't know, i must have really bad luck then. i've destroyed two transmissions already, same problem with both.

·
Registered
500 SEC AMG, 560 SEL, 500 SL 6.0 AMG R129, CL 55 AMG Kompressor, 300 E W124, E 220 CDI W210, CL 500
781 Posts
1mountainbiker - 4/27/2005 9:15 PM

Got this idea from the movie Ronin. I was wondering if anyone has done a nitrous kit in their MB. Nothing outragous but something to give it a bit more kick when needed. From what I have been told the engines, as long as you keep oil in them and basic tune ups, will last almost forever.

Or am I in LA LA land and should just give up the idea of extra horsepower?
the MB in the movie Ronin was a 450 SEL 6,9 , and she dont have nitrous just the original engine (i know this car because the owner is French and he sell her in 2003) and the power of 6,9 is 286 hp it's good for this performance !

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
SaleenS7 - 4/28/2005 5:07 PM

If it's a four door car, it probably wouldn't be wise to put a supercharger in. Think about it, it's a family car. And from what I've heard,superchargers rape your engine and decreases their life...But with a two door it shouldn't be that bad. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I heard.
Not to continue to beat a dead horse, but the most powerful w126 I have ever seen, before I read about Supercharged SECs was a white 560sel. It had a custom supercharger, custom AMG wood, the infamous 3 piece AMG wheels, etc. It conservatively made 470hp at the wheels!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It conservatively made 470hp at the wheels!!
I'd like to see those dyno charts. That's kind of hard to believe. He must have been pushing 18 psi to make that that kind of power from a 560 engine. He would also have had to use an aftermarket EFI because the CIS system will not flow enough fuel to make that kind of power.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I remember a black or anthracite supercharged SEL that was on Ebay some time ago..Had a havily modifed FI setup/stand alone computer etc..

Think the guy wanted about 15K for it..Wish I had kept info on it around:-/

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Jonathan, I remember that one too. He had an SDS fuel injection system. He was claiming very high hp but he could never provide a dyno chart to back his claims. As I remember, the supercharger on that SEL wouldn't support the power he was claiming either.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts