Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When New England's fair weather returns, my SL lives out of doors. I have a car cover that is pn the car when not in use, but it is not waterproof- theory being that it will not hold in moisture. What concerns me is having the soft top get wet. Perf. Prod has a partial cover, that covers the top and windshield. I'll call them tomorrow to find out if it is waterproof, and, if so, use it with the other cover. I guess I'm curious what the rest of you do who are in my predicament?

December thru March, she is stored away in a rental unit, well protected.

Chief

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
What concerns me is having the soft top get wet. Perf. Prod has a partial cover, that covers the top and windshield. I'll call them tomorrow to find out if it is waterproof, and, if so, use it with the other cover.
I'd worry about moisture being trapped under the waterproof cover and causing rot in the canvas. Let mildew get in there and it'll be gone in a couple of years.

I think you're better off letting the canvas get wet and dry out again, instead of covering it and creating a moist greenhouse that's pretty much a recipe for mold and mildew growth.

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
Yup. Let it breathe.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like most of you guys, I can't keep from tinkering with the SL, whether it's detailing the engine or whatever. I've thought about the mildew issue, but since I walk past it every day, as soon as the rain stops, the covers come off for fast drying. I just thought it might be good to keep the top from getting soaked, drying and stretching.

Chief

·
Premium Member
9,700 Posts
When New England's fair weather returns, my SL lives out of doors. I have a car cover that is pn the car when not in use, but it is not waterproof- theory being that it will not hold in moisture. What concerns me is having the soft top get wet. Perf. Prod has a partial cover, that covers the top and windshield. I'll call them tomorrow to find out if it is waterproof, and, if so, use it with the other cover. I guess I'm curious what the rest of you do who are in my predicament?

December thru March, she is stored away in a rental unit, well protected.

Chief
Its not waterproof and it's fit is poor. Like it was made to fit the 107 plus Mazda Miata, Boxter, BMW Z3 and the 1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible and early 70's Cadillac Elderado convertibles. I find it to be the best way to keep the sun out but it is a POS for craftsmanship. Obviously a product that was never tested.

John Roncallo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts