Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
212 Posts
Here we go:
There is a shop in Germany which offers a PU reinforcement-Kit. You can buy the 4 PU-parts only which are made for the original and incredible expensive Mercedes Axis-mounts – the set (PU-parts only) 150 EUR.
Or you can buy a set of "Aftermarket-Mounts" with appropriate PU-parts - 260 EUR.

The information transmitted on the channels of the scene are that the PU-parts for the Original Mercedes mounts and for the Aftermarket mounts are the same and the aftermarket-mounts are from Meyle. But I haven't seen them and can only report what I have read on other sites.

A couple of years ago I decided to build may own PU-parts. I made a cast (okay meanwhile it's the 4. version) and started trial and error. My way needs a lot of time and isn't really necessary if you want only one set of parts. Therefor you better turn the mounts upside down, wrap them with Tape und fill the inner area with polyurethane (75-90sh is fine). You only need a little bit of plasticine to close two small areas and need to check, how much you fill in (hight). You will need only about 50 gramm per mount.

What are these parts doing: They fill the area between mount and axle which is normally free for elastic movement of the parts. This area is gone at your car since years, so don’t worry, even with the space filled up with Polyurethane you will ride softer than before. But: The whole chassis suspension become more precise and never will collapse again.
Rember to change the engine-mounts as well, it's perfect and easy to do while you are lowering the subframe - no additional work.

Regards Martin

·
Registered
1974 450SL (US), 2005 SLK200 (UK)
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi Martin, many thanks for the pictures and the details. Looks like this is not the LCA bushings - but will keep this in mind for later! Andy

21 - 22 of 22 Posts