Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 500SL with 79K miles, I want to replace the shocks and thinking about some mods to increase performance. I lost to a VW R32 GTI [ouch! I hope it had a lot of mods]. I am reluctant to have an indy shop work on it, all service is done at the dealer including oil changes. After market parts make me a bit uneasy. Any suggestions? Any thing from AMG, Brabus etc that might help? Anyone use an indy shop in the Washington DC area or within 100 miles?

·
Premium Member
77 450SL :: 99 SL320 sold :: 06 Sprinter 315 :: 07 Vito :: 99 E280 sold
140 Posts
I'm not surprised the R32 smoked you, it's about half the weight of the SL and it has 4wheel drive. Don't go messing with your SL, it's built for cruising!

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,207 Posts
Next time you meet that VW at the lights, Plant your left foot firmly on your brake, Right foot up to 1000+ rpm (on early cars engage first gear), when ready ( lights green) release brake engage right foot hard down simultaneously release brake, say good-bye to VW to reasonable speed, easy off, play with whatever comes to hand, or air signals work well. Works with BMW`s too.

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
I gotta write that down :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, Very funny...I will keep that in mind. Actually we were driving at 80 mph and then he was at 130 mph in what seemed like a blink of an eye. I think I'll follow IRLCK's advice and enjoy my SL as is and once I get my BMW M3 I'll hunt down that R32. If all else fails I am buying a jet engine and stuffing it the engine bay...

·
Banned
230 Posts
I too wanted more HP but not engine mods so I have installed K&N airfilters and will install wireless exhaust cutout soon from Home , I expect 15HP more from just that and should sound wicked too!

When I have video I will post it.

Ian

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,207 Posts
Redbeast, dont give up so easy, a VW r32 pre 2005 on a good day with a top driver does 0-60 in 6.5, maybe he cought you napping. They top out at 153mph so you have 2mph in the bag, good luck and take a video.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts