Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm detailing my 2002 SLK and noticed the paint chipping off the original grill.
As I like to keep the car looking factory fresh, I've been searching for the exact color match. I think I've found it and would like to share my experience with other SLK owners.

The perfect matched color was: Duplicolor Engine Enamel Ceramic DE1651 Cast Coat Iron color, which was an aerosal can 12 oz. for approximately $5, purchased at AutoZone.

After spraying it, I couldn't tell the new coverage from the orignal. Hope this is useful to other owners.

By the way, the grill was fairly easy to remove by removing 6 bolts from the top side of the grill, and then pressing firmly (on the bottom left and bottom right part of the grill) toward the engine. The bottom of the grill is held on tightly by a press fit clip.

·
Registered
Australia, 99SLK230 R170, 2001SLK32
1,374 Posts
Old thread - but photo after I recently followed the recommendations and bought a can down at my local repco store - they just happened to have it in stock and on the shelf.

Cleaning the old chipped/worn paint was the hardest part - as usual preparation is everything.
I used a coarse wire brush but it scratches the plastic very easily so you have to be very gentle. The original plastic has a texture which you want to retain.
If you scratch it it will show through the new paint.

I'm relatively happy with the colour but wouldn't agree that its "impossible to see the difference".
I would say it's probably a little more yellow than original but since there is nothing to really compare it against - looks fine.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts