Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum, Lost of great info. I need help with a PCV valve for my 1998 SLK.
I got a call from the dealer a few days ago saying that my PCV valve has gone bad. They wanted over $385 to replace that. I got the valve itself for $20. Does anyone know exactly where this PCV valve is located.
I tried tracing the lines around the intake and the oil separator. I can't find it. The valve itself looks like a Y.
any help would be appreciated
thank you.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,650 Posts
see this pic... http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/r170-slk-class/207495d1227801915-oil-seperator-advance-crankcase-ventilation.jpg

it is 6a in the picture.

it is under the intake manifold and to get to it you have to remove the intake manifold. so you would have to take the fuel rail off as well to get to the bolts. so what the dealer is charging is prob correct as its a bastard of a job and takes time...

not sure if you can get to it from directly under the car (with a hoist) to see if your hands can fit in there... BUT even if you can it would be difficult pulling the old rubber hoses off with the limited space, and you know what more than likely one will split because they are old/dry...

if you do it the right way you can take the rubber lines off and clean them with solvent too, and where they plug into the block...

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see this pic... http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/r170-slk-class/207495d1227801915-oil-seperator-advance-crankcase-ventilation.jpg

it is 6a in the picture.

it is under the intake manifold and to get to it you have to remove the intake manifold. so you would have to take the fuel rail off as well to get to the bolts. so what the dealer is charging is prob correct as its a bastard of a job and takes time...

not sure if you can get to it from directly under the car (with a hoist) to see if your hands can fit in there... BUT even if you can it would be difficult pulling the old rubber hoses off with the limited space, and you know what more than likely one will split because they are old/dry...

if you do it the right way you can take the rubber lines off and clean them with solvent too, and where they plug into the block...
Thank you! I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1998 SLK 230 Kompressor, 1993 500 SEC
109 Posts
Resurrecting this thread, since I'm just doing this on my 1998 SLK. I have ordered all of the components, including two brackets so I have a spare if I need to clean the PCV valve again. But whilst I have new inlet manifold gaskets, doing it without removing that lot would be preferable.

So I took a look with a borescope/endoscope camera. These are available from as little as £70 with WiFi connection to iPhone on Amazon, though the one I use is 5.5mm and a little more expensive, from Ring. Having identified clearly where the parts are, I put my hand into the gap between the power steering pump and inlet manifold, removed the PCV valve (the clip broke, unsurprisingly), disconnected the two smaller bore (5mm bore I think) hoses and detached them from the head. The larger bore hose is still attached so I should move the intake pipe to get more clearance.

I will use a drill bit to slowly pull the carbon from the brass nozzles; also having a full gasket set I'm going to clean the intake and throttle butterfly, looking in there with the borescope revealed it's not closing fully and has some gunk.

So the only bit left to deal with is the intercooler, which has pooled oil. Joy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts