Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a nice spring day today here in the Northwest, so I rolled down the passenger window. It "expressed" down OK but when it was time to roll it up, it expressed up about half way, stopped, reversed direction and went down about 2 inches, reversed direction again and went up about 2 inches and stopped at the half way mark. To roll up the window, you have to release the button and then push the button again. This little procedure is repeatable and doesn't seem to matter if you hold the button or fully press it in to activate the express function.
Because of numerous projects, I am familiar with the reseting procedure when the battery has been disconnected.
Any Ideas?

:

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
Just guessing, but it sounds like the window is binding in that area of travel. It may think it's encountered an obstruction, and therefore stops and reverses, and stops and reverses, etc. Window tracks (inside mechanisms and rubber window seals) may need to be cleaned and lubricated.

·
Registered
92 400SE, 93 400E, 01 CLK320, 01 ML320, 98 Land Rover Discovery
196 Posts
Below is the resynchronize procedure, but you mentioned you had already performed the re-programing. I was told there is also a sensor/contact in the door that can become "dirty" over time that can also cause erratic window closures. Maybe someone else in the forum can comment on this in more detail.

To resynchronize the Express feature:

Press the UP side of the window switch (to the 2nd detent, if present) until the window is completely closed and hold for and additional 2 seconds.
Repeat procedure for each window.
Note: If vehicle is equipped with two way Express feature, each window may also have to be resynchronized in the full open position as well.

Press the DOWN side of window switch (to the 2nd detent, if present) until the window is completely opened and hold for and additional 2 seconds.
The automatic full opening procedure of the windows should now be restored.

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses- I'll be reseting the express feature again- I'm thinking maybe I didn't hold the button down for the full two seconds. Anyway, assuming that dosen't work what type of lube do people recomend for the window tracks? What about this sensor? I would really like to avoid cutting into the vapor barrier if I don't have to and I fear all the important bits are loacted behind this barrier.
Paul

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Taking the door panel off is a threee handed job, the seat control panel is difficult unless you have done it before. The vapor panel peels off, I dont know where the "auto-logic" resides but there is nothing special in the door except the locks, motor and window mech. The window regulators have been a problem, I dont think I have any origionals any more, but when they fail it goes down and thats it. MB broke one when they replaced the battery and were resyncing the windows, just another few hundered out of the 140 fund. The service tech carries wedges, he pulls the window up puts in a wedge and tells you to get a service appointment.

·
Registered
C55, 745Li, Elgrand
98 Posts
I had a problem with the rear passenger window on the W140 before. The whole window, dropped right into the door, and have to take it back to the shop they have to take out the door, and open up everything to life the window back up.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
I would think a white lithium grease for the windows. You don't have to "cut"

the vapor barrier, but it can be a pain to remove w/o tearing. The glue on barrier on the one door that I've messed with so far was very strong. I tore the barrier in a couple of places. The glue is somewhat heat sensitive. Next time, I'll heat it with a hair dryer and work more slowly around the barrier. And, don't let it fold back and stick to itself. I was going to try putting wax paper on the adhesive as I separated the barrier from the door.

Brett

1 - 7 of 7 Posts