Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
from small to large
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My e300d came a sudden symptom - passenger side inner headlight (standing or city light, whatcham call it?) went out throwing a "light defective" on panel. i am aware there are two bulbs in it - h7 and h6. h7 is working fine as on high beam it glows well, but low beam h6 is in question. i replaced the bulb, nothing, measured electric when it supposed to be on, zero. So the power was not present when it needs be. Checked harness, didn't see abnormalities.

The symptom is exactly as in this thread by another member:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1515879-headlight-help-please.html

I have not removed the coolant reservoir so to trace all the way back to the box yet. Is there anything that I need to check before going for the last resort? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
You know this brings back bad memories.

Me in my silly "want to change the original" days, I replaced my city lights with LED ones via ebay which even said they were error free...

It turned out the LED's caused some sort of electrical failure and had burned a wire resistor...I can't remember exactly if that was the part failure.

I knew it was the cause of my light not working at all because there was a visible burn on that part of the lamp...

I tried and tried to locate a replacement part for this wire but to no avail...I took to electronic shops, sound shops, and even a computer shop. They all told me they couldn't do it...

Currently the city lights do not work but get a low white reflection from the xenons, which aren't bad but are not how they are supposed to be... you make me want to get back on top of that...Could you take a pic of the interior of the headlamp assembly if possible? It may or may not boot thread views, and clarify if there is damage.

·
Registered
from small to large
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brandon, per your reply, I went back to check further and to take a pic you requested, well, I think I found out the culprit - the socket!! When socket was in place, I gauged the voltage on bulb while light knob was turned to inner light, it's 0, bad. Then I took the socket (with bulb) out and gauged, it's 12v, so I knew a problem must be on socket or bulb. On the table, I tested resistance between the paws of socket, sometimes it's 0, that indicated it's shorted. Bulb was good... Below is the socket and bulb. I might need to grab one at JY I guess.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Good to hear your narrowing down the problems. Good also you started here as it is cheapest...

Perhaps you should get 2 and replace the other side or just have one handy if the other goes out.

Is there corrosion on the socket?

·
Registered
from small to large
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there corrosion on the socket?
No there is no corrosion on the socket.

You know what - I just fixed it... what I found out was the middle pole (+ terminal) inside the socket being too tall and soft; when bulb was pressed in, it pushed the middle pole toward the socket wall, which is negative terminal. I cut about a quarter inch of straw (the coke straw when you go to burger king or mcdonalds) and slide in, insulating the middle pole and the wall of the socket, that did the trick. woohoo...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts