Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1992 MBZ 500SL(current) 1995 MBZ S320(sold)
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like the title says I need help with my 95 s320. The Passenger rear tire rubs against the fender and is treading my tire not sure whats the problem?? any help?? also my car kinda shakes when I go over 40mph-60mph any help with that too? and my power locks don't work i have to manually lock and unlock them is that normal? would an aftermarket alarm fix that?

·
Registered
92 W140 300SD 97 VW Jetta TDI 89 VW Fox diesel
996 Posts
Need more info, wheel / tire size / offset? Does your car have SLS?

When you say 'manually unlock' does that mean you have to unlock each door individually or will the key unlocking the driver door unlock all others?

If by 'shakes' you mean front end then search on 'vibration' and you should find a whole slew of articles about this problem.

post back with more info and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Like the title says I need help with my 95 s320. The Passenger rear tire rubs against the fender and is treading my tire not sure whats the problem?? any help?? also my car kinda shakes when I go over 40mph-60mph any help with that too? and my power locks don't work i have to manually lock and unlock them is that normal? would an aftermarket alarm fix that?
tires too wide? shaking could be unbalanced tires or a suspension problem, a mechanic can easily diagnose it. As for power locks idk if the s320 uses vacuum locks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need more info, wheel / tire size / offset? Does your car have SLS?

When you say 'manually unlock' does that mean you have to unlock each door individually or will the key unlocking the driver door unlock all others?

If by 'shakes' you mean front end then search on 'vibration' and you should find a whole slew of articles about this problem.

post back with more info and we'll go from there.
The car has stock wheels and the tire size 225/60/r16 and what does sls stand for? sorry im new to benz. For the locks yes I would have to unlock each door individually is that normal? would an aftermarket alarm fix the locks? and Im still clueless about the vibration on the car...here is what the rims look like if you're not sure what im talking about. Ill try to take a closer picture of the tire when it stops raining.

·
M20
4,809 Posts
I was thinking maybe somewhere along the way the po replaced it with R129 wheels but your wheels look stock. 225/60r16 is standard on the 320 and 235/60r16 for the rest of the models. Does it rub on the outer edge of the tire or inner?

OT: you have a prefacelift bumper which doesnt match the rest of the cladding. Prior collision? Car looks clean

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking maybe somewhere along the way the po replaced it with R129 wheels but your wheels look stock. 225/60r16 is standard on the 320 and 235/60r16 for the rest of the models. Does it rub on the outer edge of the tire or inner?

OT: you have a prefacelift bumper which doesnt match the rest of the cladding. Prior collision? Car looks clean
Yes it rubs on the outer edge of the tire and yes the car had been hit on the front driver side.

·
Registered
92 W140 300SD 97 VW Jetta TDI 89 VW Fox diesel
996 Posts
SLS means self leveling system, but you have a SWB car so I doubt that it has SLS. Sometimes the SLS fails and the rear end sags down some and that could create a problem in some situations, but there really shouldn't be any tire clearance issues with stock wheels.

If you have to manually unlock all the doors then your lock pump has failed or is unable to generate enough vacuum / pressure to undo the locks. The pump is under the back seat cushion on the passenger side, it's in a grey insulated rubber case.

There are too many possibilities when it comes to evaluating what could cause the tire problems but here's a few

broken anti-roll bar link rods (front and or rear)
severely worn shocks
bad suspension alignment
completely shot lower transverse control arm bushings
failed wheel bearing on rear allowing hub to move out.

If I were you I would take it to a body shop and have the chassis checked to see if everything is in alignment. If it is then I would move on to some of the things I mentioned, specifically on that corner of the car. There are just too many things that have the potential to cause this to be able to diagnose without looking at it.

hope this helps

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Could be the wheels have the wrong offset.. or somebody put spacers on the hubs..or the axle is now live.. that is not properly connected to the body..

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
it could also be a faulty alignment. go to a alignment place and ask for what is damaged and see how much that shop will ask for the repairs. on mine i use to have inner wears and they re-aligned it and it was perfect but a mechanic should also be able to help you out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts