Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1980 300D
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front power window on the passenger side has quit operating. This is on an '80 300D. The last couple times I used it, it was slow to come up. Then the last time it stopped going up so I released the switch then pressed it again. It went all the way up but doesn't do anything now and no noise from the window.

Is this the motor or a relay?

If it is the motor, can you switch one from the rear window to the front? I hardly ever use the rear windows, both work fine.

One more thing, is it possible to convert to manual windows? If I feel along the inside of the doors it feels like there is a place where a manual window handle would snap in. Could I get a set of manual handles and fit in to roll down the windows?

Thanks for any thoughts,

·
Premium Member
280CE 1984
175 Posts
To Test

You could easily prove this, by swapping drivers side switch with passenger side switch. You won't have to remove the console, unless I am mistaken, they just prise up and out if you are careful.

·
Registered
2000 W202 Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel
1,442 Posts
I also suspect your switch is giving troubles. Thing is, they carry the entire current - I've seen on the ones that I bought on eBay that the connections become rather burnt (they cleaned up quite nicely).

Oh, does the rear switch operate the window? If if it does, then your problem could very well be with your front switch. If not, then it might be a problem with your relays or a problem with your front switch's ground connection, seeing as our cars' window motors switch to ground.

So before you go and remove your door panels, first remove both pairs of switches, dismantle them and give them a good scrub with an old toothbrush.

You can replace your power windows with manual ones. However, you cannot use the power window mechanisms - you'll have to get manual ones from a junk yard. Of course, I have a complete set, in excellent working condition, with the face-lift window winders and blue window winder covers ;) .

·
Registered
1980 300D
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I pulled the switch out but couldn't swap it with the drivers side as the connections were different. when I put them back I put the passenger side in upside down and the front window went all the way down and blew the fuse. I couldn't get it to go back up. At least the motor runs downward.

Quit laughing, I'm not a real mechanical person! :big laugh::newbie:

Think its the switch? The motor seemed fine. I have the ol' garbage bag look over the window for the night. I'm taking it in to my mechanic first thing in the AM

I feel so dumb!

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Pull the door panel and apply 12volts to the motor to run the window all the way back up and fix the switch. Don't pay mechanic fee's, we'll help you out.

·
Registered
1973 W107 350SL, 1985 W123 280TE, 1983 W123 230E, 1996 W202 C280
457 Posts
I had the same problem recently , First see if the allocated fuse is good , as the w123 has separate fuses for r/f and l/b etc.
Then use a 12volt battery charger to apply current to the motor directly,
If it seems like the switch I would attempt to clean the terminals inside the switch, just remove the switch pop the back off and very very lightly sand the brass terminal piece inside.
Its hard to explain step by Step but is an easy job once apart.
P.s make sure u re assemble the switch correctly it is fiddly but corrosion on the brass piece can stop the signal.

Regards,
Reuben.

·
Registered
1980 300D
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mechanic got the window up, its almost definitely the switch as the motor runs fine.

Thanks for all the replies, this board is great!

·
Registered
1980 300D
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hooked up the switch today abd copied how the wires were on the drivers side;

red wire on the #4 prong
black wire on the #3
green wire on #5

the window would go down, when I tried to put it up it blew a fuse

so I tried it like this
green on #4
Black on #3
red on #5

window went up but not down but didn't blow a fuse

The back window was fine

I just unhooked it and took the fuse out.

Maybe bad wire/wires?

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
I know the switch is good because I tested it in my car before I gave it to him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts