Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Passenger Mirror Fell Off - Help Reattaching??

3779 3

Well, it didn't exactly fall off....a couple of hawks were having dangerous sex as they flew in front of me and I nailed one of them with the passenger mirror. I swear, this kind of thing could only happen to me! :rolleyes:

Anyway, thankfully the mirror just popped out and was still hanging on by the electrical wires when I stopped. I was trying to get it back on but I'm not exactly sure how it is supposed to connect. Do I need to take the entire side mirror housing off of the door, or does the mirror just snap in somehow?

This is a 2004 C230 by the way, but I assume the mirror attachment is probably similar to most years in this range.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
25,214 Posts

· Registered
2004 C230
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rudeney, that was exactly what I was looking for!

I have another issue now though; the mirror housing is now sticking out with a large gap between the mirror housing and the door. It doesn't look like anything is broken on the mirror housing, so I am assuming this is just some flexibility feature to prevent the mirror from breaking off in a minor collision, but I don't know how to push it back in.

I haven't really messed with it a lot lately, is there some sort of trick to pop the mirror housing back in?

Here's the mirror gap:

Here's the other mirror that is flush with the car:

(BTW, sorry the car is so dirty...the camera seems to have better vision than I do!)

· Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
25,214 Posts
It shouldn't leave a gap like that. There is a spring-loaded mechanism that allows it to fold forward and backward for safety. My guess is that it's loose. You might remove the mirror to check. Remove the sail panel speaker inside the door (it's snaps in place) and you should find bolts holding the entire mirror to the door.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.