Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as soon as I tick off a job from the to do list I have to add at least one more.

Today the passenger door wouldn't open from the outside. Luckily it does open using the open lever from the inside.

I'll need to strip off the door card and have a look.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When pulling the door handle from the outside, is there any more/less resistance from the handle now that the door is now longer opening?

If there is less resistance, then the split pin attaching the L-shaped lever to the handle probably came loose, the L lever is no longer engaging where it should be to release the lock.

If there is more resistance, then the L-shaped lever probably slipped off the second lever which releases the lock.

(Sorry for my shit description of the moving parts inside the door.)

Both would involve you removing and refitting the outside handle; a job made easier once the inside door panel is removed so that you can , from the inside of the door, push the second lever (the one releasing the lock), towards the outside in order to engage the L-shaped lever (attached to handle now that you replaced the split pin).

Also, when refitting the L-shaped leaver, if it is not sitting at the correct angle, you may find that you are only able to either lock or only unlock the door with the key; then it is a case of remove, adjust, refit and check.

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I pulled the door handle, it seems to be in good condition and the door opens when I pull on the lever within the door.

Is there anything missing from inside the door?

Could the handle L piece have just got itself unlatched somehow?

Is there a special technique to fit the handle back in the door and get the L shaped part back into the correct position?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'll throw in a few suggestions...
throw adjustment?? maybe this part slipped forward and is just not pulling the lock lever far enough back to open the door.
When I changed my door lock (didnt remove handle) there was nothing else but what you see in your picture- so no there is nothing missing
Doubt it would just "slip out" but if there is plenty of slop on the shaft that "L" shape bit slides maybe it could.....
paint missing from the outer edge of the handle cavity if not done when you removed it could indicate the handle itself could have been a bit loose..

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,615 Posts
throw adjustment?? maybe this part slipped forward and is just not pulling the lock lever far enough back to open the door.
When I changed my door lock (didnt remove handle) there was nothing else but what you see in your picture- so no there is nothing missing
Doubt it would just "slip out" but if there is plenty of slop on the shaft that "L" shape bit slides maybe it could.....
paint missing from the outer edge of the handle cavity if not done when you removed it could indicate the handle itself could have been a bit loose..
That is a great suggestion. Would really apply to the frozen handle thread.
Strange how similar thread topics seem to happen at the same time. I think Nobby has made this observation in the past.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have another look tonight and try to refit again.

throw adjustment?? maybe this part slipped forward and is just not pulling the lock lever far enough back to open the door
I think it is tight but I have not tried pulling on it yet, one to double check.

It happened as I removed the handle, looks like poor prep when the car was resprayed, a big chunk came out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts