Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
W140 S320 LWB also on Liquid propane gas
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it removed. Noted two 8mm screws underneath, but where else holds this up? Surely don't have to remove cubby box and glovebox lock?

Thanks

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
There are fasteners all over, behind speedo, and the bins will have to be removed to get access to them

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
so your just trying to remove the bottom of the dash? you will need to take the inside of the glove box out there are 4 pushpin type fasteners, pull the box out, then there are a few hex screws to remove you might need a mirror and flashlight to see them, then there's one more screw inside the vent on the side of the dash.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so your just trying to remove the bottom of the dash? you will need to take the inside of the glove box out there are 4 pushpin type fasteners, pull the box out, then there are a few hex screws to remove you might need a mirror and flashlight to see them, then there's one more screw inside the vent on the side of the dash.
Yes its the passenger side panel I need remove. Do I need take out the top cubby and the glovebox lock to remove the glovebox liner. Suspect I do? as have been there before when trying unsuccessfully to improve the g/box opening mechanism. It sticks, and takes a pull rather than just dropping open. Gave up in the end as couldn't seem to get to cable mechanism at back.

One via the air vent you say. OK I know how that comes out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
Yes its the passenger side panel I need remove. Do I need take out the top cubby and the glovebox lock to remove the glovebox liner. Suspect I do? as have been there before when trying unsuccessfully to improve the g/box opening mechanism. It sticks, and takes a pull rather than just dropping open. Gave up in the end as couldn't seem to get to cable mechanism at back.

One via the air vent you say. OK I know how that comes out.

Thanks.
no you wont need to remove the lock assembly and sunglass box.
to fix the glove box door you need to adjust the cable with the knob at the latch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are fasteners all over, behind speedo, and the bins will have to be removed to get access to them
I have the panel under the instrument cluster off at the moment and it was only three screws top front where meets plastic (one near handbrake)and a couple on underside at rear. Didn't need remove anything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so are you tryin to fix the glove box or what?
I'm tracking the two wires from the failed immobliser which unit was under the Cluster side, and feed through under the glovebox side.
Want to see how they were originally spliced in, rather than just cut and join them, which is supposedly the solution.

The Immobilser no longer being a temperamental annoyance is great, but unfortunately it took out my cars ability to run on liquid propane gas which was possibly rigged via it to avoid start up on LPG by any thief.
Car starts Ok on petrol but with the price of UK petrol today and LPG being around half that price per litre, I need to restore the lpg option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no you wont need to remove the lock assembly and sunglass box.
to fix the glove box door you need to adjust the cable with the knob at the latch.
Thanks again - great to have the glovebox opening as it should. Seen also that the culprit cable from the Immobiliser goes up to the wing area so no need to pull down knee panel. It seems to go toward the large box set under the hood. Not checked in here and see that some sort of special tool (not torx) needed to undo bolts. Will make do with pliars to loosen and then screwdriver. The trail gets hotter!

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
Are you tracing the wires to the K38 relay? On my coupe it was screwed to a tube that serves as dash support. It was behind the glovebox and I had to take the RH airbag loose (the nuts are accessible with the glove box out) as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you tracing the wires to the K38 relay? On my coupe it was screwed to a tube that serves as dash support. It was behind the glovebox and I had to take the RH airbag loose (the nuts are accessible with the glove box out) as well.
it could be. I don't know this relay. I could see the cable disappearing upwards at the wing side and it may have gone through bulkhead.

Will check out K38 online and look later this week. Hoping I won't have to take out the airbag. If no alternative, I might just as well connect up the two wires by the Immobiliser and check if this solves my problem with the Propane electrics. If it does'nt then no point in tracing these wires back to original splice point.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts