Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello.

I'm looking for an alternative to W124 with same or more passenger capacity/size. The facelifted W212 is the only modern MB I don't feel bad looking at from the outside (with all due respect to owners of other MB's) so I thought I'd have a look at it too. Good parts are becoming more and more hard to get these days for W124, so I might have no choice but to replace it sometime.

Hopefully someone tried both to tell?

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I went to a W140, '99 S420, Smart Guy. NO REGRETS !:cool:

Several BenzWorld members recommended the W140. These are the last of the over engineered, (mostly)hand built Benz models with few electronic gizmos to fail, and it was intended to be the best vehicle ever built, spare no expense. Grand suspension, quiet, quick enough, safe, comfortable, spacious, superior sound system, Xenon lights, truly a "Best Or Nothing" top of the world vehicle.

The W140 is most expensive vehicle ever built at a 1 BILLION dollar development cost. No one will ever again spend that kinda money to produce a car. This vehicle nearly bankrupted Benz forcing them to merge with Chrysler in 2000. They were priced at 25% above the competition, and in the US there was a 10% gas guzzler tax, so they didn't sell well.

Decent examples can still be had for under $10k USD. Do some homework, decide which engine and model you would prefer, then chase one down. I have the base model, no hydraulic suspension, no V12 engine, and I couldn't be happier.

Shoutout to Jayare, Sbaert, and others who lead me in this direction. (y)

·
Registered
16,786 Posts
^This X 10. I like the W140 so much, I bought two of them, both of them V12s but the ideal choice is the 500 especially for the less mechanically inclined. It is still the best S class ever made IMO.

On the other hand, the V12 is redundant like a airplane. Namely if a ignition system encounters a problem, it will continue to run as a 6 cylinders. Ditto on ECU, etc. Not so with the lesser powered examples. Many people get scared off just because of the term V12, but this is just a old wife's tale. IF this was a Jag V12, then yes run.

BUT beware that maintenance of the W140, regardless of what engine it has, is on a higher level than a W124.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh, W140, the car of my dreams.

Believe me, I know more than enough of what one needs about this car. You guys can also do some homework and see the status of this car's market here (not sure if this is within grasp). It's awful. We have a saying here that means "goodness is in what's available". It means that there's no use, no matter what, if what you want is not available. If we talk about the market, we can also refer to another saying that means "who doesn't have it cannot give it". I looked for ages for a good W140 within my budget, let alone the unjust overpricing here for such cars in the first place. I can't find an okay to drive W140 for less than $20k USD and with the need to fix enough in it. And cars older than 5 year models cannot be imported here. I believe you also know that if an MB decides to open its mouth, it doesn't close it (another saying we have here specific about MB). So it has to be reasonably clean.

That's what I came to think about this. I could be wrong. Recently I've thinking of having a look at it again.

·
Registered
16,786 Posts
Not sure why a W140 is that expensive over there.

Regardless, and this holds true with any old MB, suppose you find a W140 for 5K be prepared to put at least another 10-15K to make it just about perfect if you intent to be a long term owner. Example: I bought my first W140 for just under 5K knowing the above rule but by the time it was all said and done the total bill came to just under 25K. The SLS and ASD overhaul was a killer.

However, it IS as close to factory perfect as you can get and it is a early one so it has the most power and torque and has no speed limiter. I've had mine up to 289 km/h (GPS verified) with 5 people on board and the A/C on and it still had power left.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Smart Guy, if you could snatch up one of these W140's for near $20k USD, and it was completely sorted, I'd highly recommend you do the deal. They are THAT nice!

If that isn't practical, then I'd advise you to keep that W124 and do whatever you must to keep it running. IMHO the 124 is one of the most sensible vehicles a person could own. Decent size, solid, handles well, relatively cheap to repair, not overly complicated, looks great, and very rebuildable. It was the best ever seller for MB for a reason.

In addition to BenzWorld, I joined the Facebook MB, W124, and W140 Groups online. WOW! You should see some of the WORLDWIDE examples of these vehicles. Spectacular! I am shocked at how many splendid examples of these cars are celebrated around the world.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Nobody ever says much about 'pouring' themselves into these 124's....maybe with the exception of the TE. They are small inside. My oldest son was reasonably comfortable inside my TE, but did not like the sedans for comfort. We had a lot of opportunity yrs ago to pick up sedans on the cheap, but he refused.

So.....going for the W140 makes a lot of sense if your looking for a more spacious interior and a top dawg car.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This W124 can just cover our needs. A little extra is enough, but serious extra is more than welcome too.

I'm looking for alternatives right now, no decision taken yet. You guys brought back the memories (and hopes) to get a W140 now, tho.

I do agree with everything said. But you would be shocked if you get a good idea of how these cars fair in different regards. KSA is completely different than USA in things including this. I hear stories of nice MB ownership from US and European forums that feel like Arabian Nights to me. I need at lest a full page to explain how bad it is her with these old MB's.

However, my blood is boiling now to get one. I might even go bonkers and do it welcoming any trouble in the way. Hopefully A to Z doesn't become the demise of my wallet if I do it.

·
Registered
16,786 Posts
IF you're planning on going the W140 route, make sure all its windows work (a known weak point) and seal properly. Ditto on the roof. Ditto on the soft close doors and trunk feature (if so equipped). Ditto on eco junk wiring and throttle body.

Make sure the A/C and heating works 100% without exception. Do not accept "it just needs to be recharged".

And ask for service records. Mine came with a whole binder full and service history since day 1.

Also if the car has got 250K kms on the clock, better look for ones that have a relatively fresh transmission. These cars are very, very heavy.

I prefer higher mileage cars, but that have a proven service history, vs. low mileage garage queens. This holds especially true for the W140, particularly pre 1996-1997. These cars needs to be driven very regularly, and have to stretch their legs on long journeys to stay in shape

And don't get lulled into getting a six cylinder models thinking you'll save fuel. The 6 cylinder is way underpowered and consumes the same as a V8 just dragging the weight the car.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No mentioning the wiring harness? Well I'm into the second gen. really so no worries.

Oh, I also considered a 300 SEL W126. I thought of using the W124 as a donor for some stuff instead of selling it. But I think that's a bad idea.

·
Registered
16,786 Posts
I did mention the harness when I stated "eco junk".

Forget the 300SEL W126. I had a 1991 300SE, just too underpowered. If it has to be a 6 cylinder W126 gasoline, get the 280SE from the early to mid 80s. More power, no headgasket issues. Best W126 is the 84-85 500SE(L)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So that's what eco junk wiring meant!

No W126 then. Going older than 86 is not good for me I'm afraid with the parts scarcity we're having now. I guess W140 S500 is the only good S-Class I could afford that looks good to me. Guess what, I asked the shops and they say parts are going low even for W140. There are parts that I can't afford from the dealer so I need the alternatives shops provide. Behr radiator, for example, is +$800 USD from the dealer and ~250 from shops if I remember correctly. But at least it's less scarce than W124's now.

·
Registered
16,786 Posts
I really think you gotta drop the idea of shopping these local shops in your area and having plumbers work on your car. Plumbers are good at making sure the toilet works as it should, not so much a vehicle.

Just order online from a reputable source such as TE Taxiteile in Germany.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a good advice that I've been running after for a long time now. But I noticed that I keep getting wrong parts that I can easily return and replace so soon locally. Online purchase takes so much times to arrive, can't be sure it's what I really ordered, returning is a pain, spare parts passing is questionable at the customs... last couple of times I ordered online thru others (non relative/friend, for a fee) it took about a week to arrive. I don't have another car to use if this one stops. Unless I fix a problem soon as it shows, I could get in trouble. This is one of the problems I had in mind when I brought this subject to attention before. We have a saying here that translates to "your bro (means me) is forced, not a hero". It means that one could absolutely have no choice if something critical is missing.

But really thank you for the link. I meant to ask for it before and I'm looking for how to make this my primary source. I'd love to find a a place to get OEM MB parts, tho.

That anyway only solves the parts problem, that somehow I manage even tho maybe with so much work. It does not solve the plumbers problem, which is more important.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Hello.

I'm looking for an alternative to W124 with same or more passenger capacity/size. The facelifted W212 is the only modern MB I don't feel bad looking at from the outside (with all due respect to owners of other MB's) so I thought I'd have a look at it too. Good parts are becoming more and more hard to get these days for W124, so I might have no choice but to replace it sometime.

Hopefully someone tried both to tell?
Yeah get the W212, the interior is far more comfortable than the 124. Don't listen to these crack heads, you're got to spend the rest of eternity fixing a w140. It's a maintainance nightmare especially at this age. Also it's fugly. Even Bruno Sacco hated the design because corporate forced him to make it look so bloated. And despipe the W140 being an obese whore, every subsequent generation of S class has a larger interior. Even the 220.

·
Registered
16,786 Posts
...Unless I fix a problem soon as it shows, I could get in trouble....
That is the sole way to keep car maintenance low, whether it be a MB, a Honda, or anything in between.

Pay a little bit now . . . or a lot later.

I find it hard to believe what you said about ordering wrong parts, and as a result are letting yourself be at the mercy of whatever these local shops "decide" to stock which in all likelihood is the Made in Unknown stuff like Febi and such because it gives them the biggest profit margin.

If you order online and end up with the wrong part, that is on you. Always use the original p/n# as a reference, and stay away from the sh!t brands like Febi, Meyle, URO and/or anything coming out of Asia and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Roger that!
(Guess to whom this is addressed ;) )

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Then I'll have a W248. Clever.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts