Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello.

I'm a W124 owner who is looking for an alternative with same or more passenger capacity/size. The facelifted W212 is the only modern MB I don't feel bad looking at from the outside (with all due respect to owners of other MB's) so I thought I'd have a look at it too. Good parts are becoming more and more hard to get these days for W124, so I have no choice but to replace it.

Hopefully it is better?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey smart_guy, we've interacted on the W124 forum before, I believe. About two months ago, I bought a 2016 E400 4Matic to "replace" my 94 E320 and I have no regrets. When I first started toying with the idea of something way newer, it took a little while for the modern body design to grow on me, but now, I absolutely love it. For about a month, I still had my W124 in my driveway and could drive both cars interchangeably and what I found was that going from the 94 to the 2016, I could feel that somehow they still shared the same DNA. The transition was not shocking despite the countless modern amenities that the new car has. It feels like a solid Mercedes through and through. Obviously, the bump in power from ~216 hp to 333 hp is significant, as is having 4Matic, but the car retains familiar characteristics with that of my old beast. It also still has a great turning radius like an E-class should, something my 2010 Audi A6 wasn't even close to. As far as room goes, the new car is bigger. The wider width is definitely noticeable inside the car. Overall it is quite a bit more spacious than the old E-Class.
I did end up selling my W124 about a month ago to a nice couple that will enjoy it for many years.
I suggest you get out there and test drive some modern E-classes yourself. The shifter on the stalk was a little strange at first, but now it is like second nature. If you can find a 2014 E550 (last year made) or a newer E400 like mine, you should definitely try them out as compared to a standard E350. The difference is immediate. Also, keep an eye out for units that were ordered with custom Designo options; absolutely beautiful. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, thanks for the heads up, guys. I see the interior is indeed bigger in W212.

@dtsdig
Hey there, it's nice to hear from you again. That's more than I needed to know, thanks. I see you still have the same avatar. Don't make W212 owners jealous now ;) (don't tell them you sold it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts